• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cutting the spear hole?

For the first times out just use your auger and then use a chisel to break the points off.

You will need some tongs to lift the ice block out and a grain scoop with many drain holes cut in it to get the slush out of the hole.

Invest in a saw as soon as you decide you are going to like spearing or sight fishing. It is well worth it.

Try checking out a flee market, my father-in-law picked up 2 last year at one by Sallie. The saws are awesome compared to trying to simply drill enough holes to make a spear hole. This year my brother hooked the blocks and then I had to pull on him because we made the chunks too big.

thanks merkman.. and where can i fing tongs ?

To get them fairly soon try, on-line auction sites, on line list sites, or some bait stores have them. There are some nice stand up tongs (or if you prefer thongs?) out there too.

From best I can figure Fish from Fish ice saws has a couple hundred stashed away in his garage too? (I'm not sure if it had anything to do with Y2K or what the heck?) I think he may sell you a set.

The other advantage the ice saw has is that the ice block comes out in one or more large pieces rather than a bunch of auger chips. It doesn’t seem like a lot but it is nice to pull the whole block out at once rather than several scoops of chips.

Originally Posted By: Laska
Im investing in a saw for next year no more auger/chisel hassle, its taken a toll on me, and I still hav 4 weeks left!

You can get one in a week, and have three weeks to use it smile

hahaha very true! Maybe, I think my funny money fund is dry from all the other spearing stuff I bought smile

I got by with just an auger for years. A saw makes it easier, but it's not necessary.

Especially once there's 24" of ice. It's much easier to drill holes then it is to saw. This time of year I drill holes really tight to keep sawing to a minimum.

is it possible to cut a spear hole with just my auger or do i need a saw ?

i have used the auger to drill 4 corners and then used the ice saw to cut inbetween.

for some reason i havent found all the hype about the ice saw, i like it when theres less than 12 inches of ice, but when it gets deeper it seems like alot of work.

i have tried using a chainsaw. i dont like the smooth hole sides that it leaves behind. but it is super easy and fast to make a hole.

this time of the year i use auger and chisel both of my houses require a 4x3 hole pattern. i try to leave just alittle ice inbetween the holes then chisle the humps out.

my 2 cents

ya thats what I do, just drill pretty tight holes and the nock the middle out, its surprisingly fast to do actully, just a couple hard hits and she breaks

this works its what ive been doing, but from the way it sounds ya cant beat a fish's saw!

Just a sugestion I have taken the 1/2 size ice chunk removed from the spear hole approximately 18in X 18in (as much as you can lift)and augered a hole in the middle of it to about 3 inches from the bottom, brought it home and placed it along side the driveway and put a candle in it. It makes quite the lighting display and your wife will love you for it.I guarentee

the neighbors will be envious.