• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie shallow question

ive been hearing alot of good things about shallow water lately, i myself never try in 5-7 feet of water unless i have to, well my question is do the bigger crappies cruise the shallows in search of food, em i lookin for weeds in shallow and what draws them in that shallow is it water tempature, or food, oxygen?

shallow has always been producing crappies for me in the years from 12 to 6 ft of water. I think its because the weed is like shelter for them from the predators lurking around. I've always notice that when nite falls they come out from the weeds to feed.

When sightfishing -- is it better to punch a bunch of holes and move along with the portable -- or to work a lot fewer holes more aggressively (the sit and wait approach -- with being quiet so important)?

And do you prefer a more delicate or aggressive presentation?

Irishwalleye- Its really going to depend on weather conditions. There are times when you have to be as careful as possible. There have been times I have felt that it matter that you walked only on snow areas so that you didnt leave a shadow on the ice and that you leave ice in the hole and such.. and other times where you could have had a rock concert on the ice and they still would have hit.

When sight fishing I always bring a 1-2 punch. A smaller lure(usually a marmooska copy) and then a larger walleye spoon. If I drop the panfish bait down the hole and dont get any takers, I will drop down the walleye spoon to see if I can bring anything in from farther away.

If I bring fish in, and they dont take the smaller offering, I will then begin to change my game plan from there. When sight fishing its often needed to use a house.. and I will do my best to make as little noise as possible. but thats just me.

I have been sightfishing crappies all season and I aggree with rosspj59 that the fish that you see right on the bottom are fish and just crusing. I drop my bait right in front of their noses and they really don't want anything to do with it. Even if you raise it up and jig it like you should they just keep right on swimming by. I have been fishing in 9 feet of water and the most active fish have been 1/2 way down. As far as the noise, I have had guys drill right next to me and it doesn't seem to bother them. Car/truck travel and loud ice cracks does seem to scare them for a little while. I would suggest fishing in a dark fishhouse if you are sightfishing. Good luck!

I forgot to mention that if you can find a clear enough lake to sight fish in it can really be a blast!! To see how the fish react to your bait, as well as how you jig, can really be fun. You should also see other gamefish swimming by. It is always a thrill for me to see a large northern or bass staring at your jig threaded on 2lb test line.