• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

6x8 Darkhouse in Progress...

Laska

To make a long story short, I came across I bunch of wood, courtesy of my boss for free, and I have enough to build a 6x8 permenant shack, just figured Id post the progress for fun and see if anyone has any tips for Heating, Another hole for angling?, shelfs, decoy holder, stuff like that, Id like to get some ideas from you guy cuz ya guys seem to know what your doing when it comes to perm darkhouses.

lll post pics as I go...

Frame 6x8

100_0973.jpg

7/16 plywood on the floor

100_0974.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dimensions are the same, except I put the hole in the middle of the house, so when you go in the door, you step to either side to spear. Helped me to do it this way so I could involve the wife/kids in the sport. I did not extend the hole all the way to the opposite wall and left some room there for the heater, seems to distribute the heat better throughout the house. Where you put your hole, maybe you could add another spear hole on the other side of the house, or put two angling holes over there, one in each corner. Looks pretty good though, very sturdily built so far. One word of advice, when building the upper section (walls, etc.), try to stay on the low side when it comes to weight, they can become nastily heavy if one becomes too elaborate. Keep up the good work1

Im the only one who spears around me for about a 100miles so lol I only need one spear hole, Im thinking of putting 2 angling 8" holes in next to the spear hole, I should be done with this by tomorrow, I am going as lite as possible with the framing, because Im doing this all on my own, I have 2 walls with plywood on them already, now Im workin on the back then the front and door, anyone know what I good size for a door would be.

Startin a wall

100_0976.jpg

Wall done

100_0979.jpg

laska I would make that hole bigger you wont regret it and I would think of adding a second hole for a buddy to spear out of . or when you cut the holes for angling put those holes in the cover for the second spear hole so you could fish or spear? By the way when its done if theres room I 'll make time to visit grin

laska I would make that hole bigger you wont regret it and I would think of adding a second hole for a buddy to spear out of . or when you cut the holes for angling put those holes in the cover for the second spear hole so you could fish or spear? By the way when its done if theres room I 'll make time to visit grin

My GF just informed me she wants to try and spear soooo... I have to cut another spear hole, if you and her wouldnt have said anything I woulda just cut a angling hole, now it will have 2 spear holes. the dimensions on the hole I have cut is actually big enough for me... Its huge!

hey Laska, are you going to put that house on skids or build it onto a trailer? just curious - my dad and I are thinking of building one this summer so I'm going through all the options in my head. my neighbor used to use a snowmobile trailer and a winch to load his so I'm thinking that route.

BTW I see you're in Stockton, do you spear in the Winona lakes or are there some backwaters outside the tracks that aren't "border waters"? I fish with a buddy of mine in the Winona backwaters but didn't think there were a lot of spearing opportunities down there.

anyhow, you're looking good with the shack - the only advice I can give you is make sure you can get it out your garage door when its done! I had a friend make his shack a little too tall once...

hey Laska, are you going to put that house on skids or build it onto a trailer? just curious - my dad and I are thinking of building one this summer so I'm going through all the options in my head. my neighbor used to use a snowmobile trailer and a winch to load his so I'm thinking that route.

BTW I see you're in Stockton, do you spear in the Winona lakes or are there some backwaters outside the tracks that aren't "border waters"? I fish with a buddy of mine in the Winona backwaters but didn't think there were a lot of spearing opportunities down there.

anyhow, you're looking good with the shack - the only advice I can give you is make sure you can get it out your garage door when its done! I had a friend make his shack a little too tall once...

My boss has a snowmonile trailer that ill be loading it on, I have about 4in of clearence from my garage door, Im building the ceiling on the ground then once its outside im puting it on right away, puting a tarp on the top with roofing cement, as long as the tarp is tight it shouldnt rip at all.

I spear lake winona which last week I just saw a 40"+ Northern, then I go west out by the mankato area, great spearing out there and everyone is willing to give some tips on spearing there aswell. If your after carp the backwaters down here are awsome in spring, Northerns aswell. Not alot of people know the waters where Im from but Ill be the first to tell ya there is monster bass, and northerns in the lake here.

So I finished off the night framing off the door and puting the last panel on the shack, Ill have pics tomorrow night, takin a trip to Waterville for some spearing tomorrow morning so yeah good luck to all who dare go out tomorrow like me!

Each hole is 36x21

Very nice hole size!!!

That is alot of ice to cut though but worth it once it is cut.

Make sure you make hole covers for each hole.

It will block the light (and the muskrats) if the one hole is not in use and it will also insulate the hole so you don't have so much ice to cut though.

Overall it looks great!!!

Mount some rattle wheels on the wall in front of the hole and you will be good to go!!!

Are you going to insulate it at all?

A big buddy heater should heat that nice.

They can mount on the wall to save floor space you might want to make a place to mount it on the wall too?

I got some roofing tar that ill coat the whole bottom with, It will seal it up real good then Ill put the oil based paint over that. should work, Im going to put blocks underneath once i find my spot on the ice.

I got done with the Front door

100_0990.jpg

inside

100_0993.jpg

I would be cautious about putting roofing tar on the bottom.

I made a mess of a wood roof that way once a few years back.

That stuff is still tacky to this day.

It may be a mess sliding it on and off your trailer.

Carpet is a must.

I don't have carpet in mine yet and it is a pain.

Looking good though!!