• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First timer- Bog Adventures

mnfishingal

Had a great time at the Bog and a big thanks to JayinMn for your pointers. I got a late start on Wedn, forgot my tripod (a necessity for my unsteady hands) and my map, although I wasn't too worried as I got a gps for Chrsitmas. It took me to the Bog the long way around.

Day 1: Saw a hawk owl from a distance, too far to get a picture. Met Jay at the Admiral feeder and it was nice to put a face with the name. Took a few photos, although worried about how clear they'd be with the camera handheld. On the way out of the bog area came across a bald eagle. This is my best shot -

bogeagleinflight.jpg

Day2: Got up at the butt-crack of dawn hoping to get to the bog to get some photos of the sunrise. Need-less-to say, the sun was a little later in rising than I anticipated. Came across the GGO and took some pics again at the Admiral feeder. On the away out of the bog stopped by another spot (I thinkon Owl Ave) and took some pics of the birds and squirrels (the little squirrel in the end pic is saying thanks for the grub.) When I got up to leave, noticed a hawk owl in the tree behind me about 10' eating on the ribs. He saw me move and flew across the road. I sat back down and within a few minutes, he came back. My vantage point wasn't the best so I spent a few minutes carefully scooting so I could get a clear pic. It was alot of fun. I'd love any feedback you have on the pics.

bogowl2.jpg

bogowl5.jpg

bogbirds1.jpg

boggrosbeak.jpg

hawkowleatingribs.jpg

hawkowl3.jpg

bogsquirrel1.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and especailly for keeping the birds fed. It's definitely a trip I'll take again.

Denise

Looks like a productive journey! I did enjoy the shots of the Owl feeding, sharp and clear as well as the squirrel shot and your eagle picture. Looks like the shutter speed got a bit slow on the Whiskey Jack shot. Good work.

Looks like you found a lot of great birds after all. The eagle shot is really nice. Now the hawk owl eating the deer, I would have never expected that. I knew the hawk owl was hanging around that feeding station, but I assumed it was hunting rodents there. I bet johnny will like seeing those pictures. He maintains that station. Very interesting, I might have to go check it out tomorrow. What time was that at?

Great images Denise!.....That wonderful capture of the northern hawk owl is my favorite!...I know exactly which tree(birch) that the owl was feeding in...the tree closest to the road....I just am elated that the birds have finally started showing up and using the station and your pics certainly have shown that!....I'll be at that station tomorrow morning to check it out and tend to the feeders.....again glad you had a successful photo/birding trip...

Wow!! You got to see it all while you were there. How exciting. Congratulations. Glad to hear I am not the only one with unsteady hands. But most of your shots were nice and clear. You got a couple of the sweet backgrounds too. And dang, I wish we had mossy branches around here.