• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

After spending an hour in Urgent Care...

I have too many to list and too many good ones to write about. But this is always a good story -

I was at my warehouse late one night building shelves. I was using my framing numatic gun ( shoots 4 1/2in nails thru 2x4's ) I was using it over my head ( not good ) the triggered it onece it then jumped and triggered the safety again. I felt something knock my hand. I look at my laft had and I had a 4 1/2 nail through it. It stopped perfectly centered one half out one side and the other half out the other side. Hold your hand out in front of you, palm down. the nail was thru the middle finger just above the bone.

I really didn't have time, nor did I want to go to the ER. So I found a razor blade, sterilized it with a lighter. I then cut the tissue along the nail, popped the nail out. rinsed the wound, put a bandage on and went back to work.

I always thought going to the ER was normal until I started asking others.

I've been to the ER 21 times and at least another dozen that I should have gone. No broken bones, almost all for stiches.

Wow Tami, and I thought I was an accident looking for a place to happen. I was sideswiped by a garbage truck when I was 8, broke my tailbone twice, hyper-extended the knee, split the ole noggin open a couple of times, was thrown off of a horse at full clip, but my worst ER visit was because of Anaphylactic shock from an allergic reaction from a prescription. Ended up in ICU, couldn't breath and a heart rate over 200.

geez, you guys and gals. and i thuoght the severe case of poion ivy over every inch of my body (and yes everywhere) was the end of the world back when i was a teenager. made a trip to deer river hospital on that one. eekcryfrownshocked

If ER counts, heres the shortened version of mine, fell from roof, tried to break fall with R arm and Theismann'd it, middle of forearm was at about a 90 degree angle to the upper arm. Got right into the ER, they splinted then called in the X-ray tech, English was not his second or maybe not even his 3rd language. Well he wanted my arm positioned a certain way, I tried to tell him my arm was broken and in his best thick loose american accent told me "you don't know that, that is what X-ray will show." So still wanted my arm a certain position, no lie, he grabs the arm, and tries to turn and straighten all in one pull. I was paralyzed in pain and then screamed every F bomb at him I could. MD, Nurse, and a security came to the room.

Once broke my foot, 7 days before my wedding, waited in ER for 3 hours while a couple chest painers came in, one lady who had a huge Rapala hooked into almost every finger of hers, and yes it was a summer saturday evening, so the drunk college guy with the pool ball stuck in his mouth all went ahead of me.

I have never done any time in intensive care or anything that serious but I have had a few real close calls.

One time while logging I was on the crest of a rather steep hill. I felled a tree (about 12" diameter) so that it would land downhill for easy hookup with the skidder As the tree fell, the edge of the hill acted like a fulcrum and the butt of the tree lifted up very fast. I felt the breeze as the butt of that tree missed my lower jaw by inches. Had it hit, I'm sure it would have broken my neck.

Another time while logging. One thing we always did when felling trees was to make sure we had an escape route. You just never know when a tree will take an unusual move. I was felling a rather large tree and as I was trained I had my escape route ready. As the tree fell, the top of it caught another tree and the butt made swing at me. I was already backing away and as it swung at me I had to move faster. In the process I backed into a nother tree. Although I no longer had my finger on the throttle, the saw chain was still winding down and when I hit the tree, the saw fell against my leg and tore my pants or so I thought. The skidder operator came by and noticed the injury. Took 17 stitches to repair my thigh. I didn't feel it cut me.

My most painful incident occurred when I was helping a friend load some larger aspen logs onto a trailer. One time when we set one down, unknown to me, my finger fit perfectly into the folds of the bark and I didn't realize it was sitting on my finger. When I pulled my hand away, my finger nail got conveniently removed. That is the first and only time I ever went faint due to pain.

Bob

Last July 30th I was on the scaffold at work only 9 feet high. I had my co-worker come up and help me with something. When he was done he turned around on the scaffold to get down and it all broke free. When I hit the ground I was looking at my right foot and it was flat on the ground but my left foot came down straight up and down(doctor said like a ballerina). My foot went under the wrong way so the bottom of my toes were heading for my heal. My toes were dislocated and shifted over so they lined up with the next bone over. The long bones behind my toes were shattered and shifted over. I broke a couple of ribs somehow?

The ambulance ride was interesting between my foot and my ribs the pain was so bad they gave me 2 shots of morphine and kept asking me what my pain level was. I told them that they haven't done a thing to reduce the pain,then they told me that most people would be out after 2 shots of morphine. I then explained to them there was no possible way I was going to sleep.

It took about 4 hours to get the pain under control. I had surgery 14hrs after the accident. I had 4 screws and 2 pins in my foot. I was in the hospital for 3 days and spent 8 weeks on crutches. I still have the screws in my foot and can feel them some days.

Hammer