• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First time out on new sled

kdawg

Well, thanks to all the imput that I got from all the knowledgeable folks here, I picked up my Polaris 04 xc sc 600. Sunday morning, after watching the light snow drop for about 45 minutes I told my wifey, "to heck with the schedule for today, I'm testin out the new sled", as we did have a number of "plans" for the day. She gave no argument. I took off from Hugo, headed north and ended up east of Forest Lake. Some nice riding indeed. It was about 3 miles into my trip (when I got off the boring trail along hwy 61 and hit the ditches) that I got a BIG smile on my face - I knew I made the right decision in buying this sled. After I made my way back to hwy 61, I headed West and into the Lino Lakes, chain of lakes area. Very nice trails. I stopped at a bar/resaraunt, had a bite and hit the trails again. I did get a number of chances to stretch the legs of the 600 - now, I don't ride like I used to (I'm 42 now), but dang it, it's fun to make her scream every now and again, and she seems to kind of like it. On my way back I hit a rough section in one of the ditches and decided to stand up and let the sled do the work for me - she agreed readily. Right now I can feel muscles in my lower back, my legs and arms that haven't felt this way in a long time, but that's ok, it just means I need more "conditioning". I had some plans for tomorrow am, but I've just decided that my tues. morning of work can easily be pushed back to tuesday late evening... I'm goin' sleddin. Again, thanks for all the info. prior to and after buying my sled and trailer. I'm sure you will hear plenty more from me in time. Kdawg.

Sounds like you had a good ride! Pretty addicting isn't it? Like you I bought a sled this year after not having one for 7 years. I picked up a Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 800 mostly for the long track. I've been out a couple of times for rides and out fishing a couple of times as well. I empathize with the getting a little sore after riding, I'm 53 and it takes a little longer to recover. Winding out that throttle never gets old but I'm a little more careful these days when I do it!

I bought mine for a combination of the extended tunnel and rack, and the extra track length tends to smooth out the little bumps better. It's primarily for lake travel and fishing. If it were for trail use around here I would buy a short track machine. They are much easier to handle.

600 mxz rev

bought it last winter and its a rocket ship

but being 56 now seem to have troulbe holding that throttle to the bar for very long bout 100 is the best so far and i have a ways to go to the bar yet

but like you said the sled likes going fast seems to almost idle along at 35-40

100?!! Well, my hat's off to you. I used to be a VERY aggressive motocross and snowcross rider,(some 15+ years ago) however I let off my throttle at, ahem, 80. I know there was a lot of throttle left but I seriously think that the extra 20+ mph will be unchartered territory for me. I just love gettin her up to 60 ASAP, but now there's a part of my brain that says, "OK, that's enuff".

ya it gets to 60 quick 60-80 in heartbeat

if i can find the right controled area i might sqeeze it alittle harder

i use to oval race back in the day

can still ride with the best but like you say just alittle more cautious not that i worry bout gettin hurt but it takes longer to heal lol

It's kind of funny how us "older" guys seem to see God a little sooner these days. I know when I was 21 I didn't think twice about doing 105 mph on my sled and wanting more. Now I have one that is quicker and have not had it over 85. I don't even know if it will to tell the truth. The way it is set up it is all about being quick with lower gears, clutching, pipes, etc... I know today when I got back in after riding on the hardpack my forearms were pretty sore and so were my cheeks from smiling so much. I can't wait to get out again.

I think that experience tends to mellow us out a little. I've always enjoyed the ride as much as, or more so that that blast of speed. I had a ZRT 600 that I tweaked to radar at 106 in 1000' but it was so peaky that it was not fun to ride on the trail anymore. Same with boats. I've driven one to 83 (avatar) and been a passenger at 115 (scary!) but now I'm happy to hit 60. I guess it's back to fishing now. Hopefully if I see God doing that he won't be upset.

Kdawg, nice sled! I got an 98 xc600, but I would love to step up to an edge like yours. The 600 is the perfect size. It is plenty fast to keep up with anything. May not be faster, but will keep up.

Hydro, 115 in a boat is insane. I went 109 gps in a buddies uncles STV with a highly moded 2.5 L EFI Merc. It was on Big Birch Lake. He was pointing at air pockets that you could see on the water. He said if we hit one of those we could flip. It is really weird going that fast on the water, you can see these air pockets where there are no ripples, that you would not see going slow. After going that fast my eyes were red all day and my hair stood straight up. It was fun though. My boat does 62, not fast enough. I really would love to have an Allison bass boat! I would like a happy median of 85 mph boat, which the Allison would do with a 200 hp on the back. Wife says no though. Oh well, I can dream!