• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

power minnow Q

Jordyn Kaufer

I use the ones that come pre-rigged in the package and ones of that nature. I'm not sure what you mean by "collared" but if it is what I'm thinking of the ones I use are. I will for the most part use a standard lifting and dropping motion or make it slowly pulse down there and it seems to drive fish crazy.

I see you're from cass county jordyn. I have a cabin up there and do tons of fishing myself in the area, especially in the summer. There are lots of hot little lakes around there!

No collar jigs in weight suggested will work best, long shank hooks will be even better. Just fish them through the ice with slow up and down movements and make sure you pull the line towards the hook so the knot is on the eye on the hook side so it hangs horizontally or it will affect the way it works.

some guys swear by them......they tend to trigger some big fish......if you look back from last few years they have become pretty popular among some of the better sticks on this site and former guys from this site.....

i have used the power minnows with success for weaving out the smaller fish to get the bigger ones. I have also tried the power tubes and the chartreuse one is a go-to for me and a confidence bait for me. collarless jigs work best with both

Jordyn,

At time they nare hard to beat. At times tubes are a better option. There are also times when the small stuff like Lindy Micro Minnows, LA Nuggies, etc.

Definitely a good tool to have in your arsenal.

There is definitely a learning curve to overcome with plastics but once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why it took so long. wink

Also, don't expect to have instant success with a Power Minnow as I think there are many factors that fall under the "why I chose to fish this bait" today category. Sometimes it takes awhile to put these puzzle pieces together.

Like Borch mentioned, there are times when you have better options, you need to identify that and adapt.