• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reducing trolling speeds

TruthWalleyes

I've got an older 40hp evin. When the motor is running good it will idle fine at about 2.5-3mph.

If i put on a smaller prop will i achieve a slower speed? like 1mph + ?

I've got a 55lb thrust trolling motor that will troll up to 2.2mph, but i really hate running the batteries down when i plan on fishing all day!

That was my concern with a smaller prop is what will the rpm's do when there's less resistance. I couldn't say what i'm turning for rpm's at WOT but it cannot possibly be exceeding my max at idle with a smaller prop. i wouldn't think so anyway.

Often looked at the drift socks, never thought of using them during trolling situations.

I also had motor issues running at idle or trolling at all during the fall, i think i was running some bad gas...but we'll see this year. I'm hoping a smaller prop will help keep the motor running in idle better.

You have anymore thoughts for me marine_man? I'm not new to motors...automotive engineering degree, but this is an older 2stroke.

Aahh! you put that into a different context, i know exactly what you mean now! Never thought of that and glad you brought that up. If i do go with a smaller prop don't open it up!

Could'a saved me a motor there boatfixer...though i would have figured this out once i got it up to WOT...too late

Dropping your prop pitch 1 or 2 steps is not going to drop you from 2.5-3 mph to 1+ mph. It will slow you down, although as marine man and boatfixer pointed out you will need to make sure you don't over-rev the motor at WOT. You will also lose some top end speed.

A drift sock or two is probably going to be the cheapest and most effective way to slow your boat down. Other ideas are to run your bowmount to fight against your 40 evinrude, or even put the bow mount in the water with the wide side of the lower unit turned so it provides the most resistance in the water (although that trick us usually only good for a few tenths of a mph).

You had mentioned that you have an older 40 hp Evin and that it was running poorly last fall.....how old? With those older motors you need to mix oil on the lean side so that it doesn't get too rich or they will run poorly. Old gas will do it as well, but newly mixed gas will make an older motor run rough if you have too much oil mixed with the gas. Use an ounce less than recommended or so, and it will run better on those older motors. Years ago when I had one of my first boats I had a 70 hp Johnson and the thing ran like a top provided I didn't get the oil/gas mixture too rich. If you are running a console steered boat a drift sock may be your best bet for slowing the boat down for trolling. I run a tiller boat so when I want to slow it down I run my Vantage 80 trolling motor the opposite direction of the big motor and can slow it to a crawl.

My 40evin is early 80's. The guy that sold it to me said to run it lean on oil too, For the most part i didn't measure well enough. It ran perfect for the two months after i got it from him...so- i Think i was too rich.

You said that drift sock with a console, but with a tiller why not a drift sock? I think i'll try my trolling motor in the opposite direction this spring.

Drift socks (yes, more than one) are the way to go, but then can make your boat handle a little sluggish. Why not put better batteries in for the trolling motor. A boat that size should be able to go all day and then some on a set of batteries and a good trolling motor.

This may be a stupid question but are you trolling forward or in reverse? The boat will go slower backtrolling although you may have to invest in some splashguards. Also if you are forward trolling, try running a line between your two bow cleats with a carabiner for the drift sock in the middle. You will actually gain boat control, especially in rough water. If you are back trolling you can run a drift sock on a single line. You can also install a trolling plate on the engine although I think the drift sock will give you more versatility in other situations. Are you crankbait fishing or trying to get down to a live bait speed?

The reason you don't need a drift sock with a tiller is because you can slow the boat to a crawl as others have stated by running your electric motor the opposite direction against the big motor. I have a 135 hp Mercury OptiMax tiller motor and rather than use a drift sock to slow it down, I run my 24v Vantage 80 (mounted right next to me on the rear transom) the opposite direction of the big motor and can slow my boat to a virtual crawl. Typically, I'll set the dial on my Vantage on 2-4 to get the desired speed I want the boat to run at when using my big motor. For example, if I am trolling plugs using the big motor on a calm day the boat runs at about 2.3 mph by just putting it in the forward gear. If I want to pull plugs at 1.8 mph I run my Vantage 80 at about a 3 setting in reverse and it slows the boat to the desired speed and provides me with ultimate boat control. I don't have to constantly pull up or throw out a drift sock.

WakeGuy: I'm having a hard time finding "bass lake" on any map. Faribault cty i'm guessing. I primarly do all my fishing between mankato and owatonna, and would like to get to know the lakes around faribault more.

Also i'm trolling in forward, not a fan of backtrolling w/o splash guards and the difficulty controlling it.

I've got a great battery and the trolling motor will go for all day and then some, But when i'm trolling with in on high (2.2mph) it can drain in less than 4hrs. When using it "normal usage" it can last me 2 long days out there.

Thanks All!

I think i'll take what CBohn and others suggested with the opp dir. trolling motor.

Guys, I am surprised that I didn't hear the other obvious answer. Most older motors get a bit out of tune over time. The timing could have advanced, the idle mix could be off, the throttle linkage could be binding.

Being sort of a conservationist, I don't like to see trolling at 2000 rpm against a driftsock or against a seperate trolling motor when a simple tune up can get the idle down to 800 rpms or less.

Verify that you are running the proper idle rpms before trying to solve the problem. If you have the manual for the engine, there are some simple linkage checks and carb setting tips that might be able to get you where you need to be.

Guys, I am surprised that I didn't hear the other obvious answer. Most older motors get a bit out of tune over time. The timing could have advanced, the idle mix could be off, the throttle linkage could be binding.

Being sort of a conservationist, I don't like to see trolling at 2000 rpm against a driftsock or against a seperate trolling motor when a simple tune up can get the idle down to 800 rpms or less.

Verify that you are running the proper idle rpms before trying to solve the problem. If you have the manual for the engine, there are some simple linkage checks and carb setting tips that might be able to get you where you need to be.

I got this boat used, would anyone know where i can find a manual to get the specs. I'd rather tune 'er up and have it running good than run two motors etc..

Filling your livewells can also take off a few tenths, add a second battery for your bow mount or upgrade to a 24 volt. I run a 17'6 Alumacraft Trophy and can troll all day ( 12-16 hours) at 1.5-2.0 on my bowmount if the winds under 15 mph. Above that I run the outboard but will also use the bowmount as a drag or as a boost when the gusts hit or when fighting waves. I have also used a smaller (30") drift sock to help slow down. But like already stated running a sock off the transom will make control sluggish, running off the bow is a better option once you get it figured out. A trolling plate may also be an option to look into.