• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slush

splakeshaker

I had quite the misfortune yesterday. I am not an avid snowmobiler nor plan on being one. I bought a sled last year to tote the portable fish house around. I went out yesterday and found a fishing spot to set up. Soon I realized I'm in about 8 inches of slush and water. I thought it would be a good idea to move the sled to a more snow packed area but too late. I was stuck and S.O.L. For about an hour I tried to get myself out to no avail. I ended up walking across the entire lake back to the truck, went to town and got some buddies to help me out. We eventually were able to get it out. Since I don't know much at all about snowmobiling or snowmobiles, I am now on a mission to learn as much as I can. As I mentioned, I am an ice fisherman and do like to get back to certain lakes that you can't get to without a sled. If I had gotten my sled stuck like I did yesterday on one of these lakes I would have been in some serious trouble. Obviously, I certainly don't intend to put myself in this situation again, but realistically it could happen. How do you get yourself out of slush if you are by yourself? Thanks for the help

For one, start carrying a shovel, especially if you're going out by yourself. On top of that, the next best thing you can do is get studs for the track. They're fairly easy to install (you do have to take the track off) but it's definitely worth it.

I am new as well, and found out about slush a few weeks ago. Didn't get stuck too bad, but there were two of us so got out pretty easy. I am thinking about studs now.

But others have mentioned a come-along and a good rope, and a short 2x4. They can describe it better, but basically you drill a hole with auger about 100' (or as long as the rope is) away. rope connected to sled, then to come-along, which is connected to the 2x4 that is notched/under the ice. You whinch the sled out of slush, or to better snow, or how ever you can to get out. Might take a couple holes, but will definitely move the sled. I guess this is common in Alaska, where help is hundreds of miles away.

Here is where one of Shacks tips videos would be good to see wink hehe, come on Shack or anyone, show us how to do this properly on video smile

I've seen videos on a TV show where sleds were consumed by deep snow and slush, and the come along was the only way. Just be careful where you fasten, a good rope between the front suspension frames to put even pressure on the front end.

I prefer to drive around (don't stop!) and make a good trail before stopping on my tracks/trail to make sure there's no slush. I've been stuck myself by stopping to check out a spot.

I usually go heavy on the throttle and don't stop for nothing in deep snow/slush. grin

I agree with the tips mentioned above and also built a grappling hook to go w/ my comealong, otherwise it's wide open and don't stop til your on solid snow.If your buddy is stuck you can keep doing a wide circle around to find some decent spot which may give an idea of which direction to comealong. Some days when it's slushy but really cold it helps to blast out and around your fishing area so the slush comes to the surface and freezes and then go back for your gear, this will give a hardened trail. Also not a bad idea to lift the back end of your sled and give some throttle before shutting your sled off so that the slush you went through doesn't freeze up your track when starting. Bottom line is slush sucks.

make yourself a starting pad. Tromp down or shovel out of the way all the slush and [PoorWordUsage] for a good 10 20 feet. You may need to help push the sled to get it moving and once moving just don't stop! May need to pull your porty by hand as it can drag down your momentum easily. Studs will help for sure. Never had to try the come along idea, but I'm sure that would work as well.

Good luck

Here is where one of Shacks tips videos would be good to see hehe, come on Shack or anyone, show us how to do this properly on video

That is one video you will not see me doing any time soon grin

I also agree with the above. I also carry a nice stout shovel with. When in dought, dig it out wink!