• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a Polaris Mechanic

erikh45

My dad has a 1998 Explorer 350 (I think). Anyway, he wants to get it running, but doesn't want to bring it to a dealer because of what they charge. At this point it has been sitting for at least a year and probably has carb issues and a myriad of other things wrong with it. Can anyone suggest a mechanic in the Duluth area that is going to be fairly reasonable (like I will give you two cases of beer type reasonable)? It would be nice to have somebody take a look at the carb and such. I have time to do little things like new battery, filters, and so forth.

The carbs are very simple on those models. Get sharp screwdrivers and take it apart. Change fuel filter, plugs, air filter, and check for exhaust, fuel, and coolant leaks. Pretty simple unless you need some major work done.

BTW, It's a 400.

Just been sitting a long time. If I get spare time I would rather fish than tinker with it. I have looked at the carb and it looks like it is tucked way up in there and I would have to dig to get at it. I did change the filters, plug, and the battery so far. I have pulled it to turn it over several hundred times. At one point gas was running out of the exhaust joint. I don't thik that was normal. My last machine was an 03 Sportsman. I got really good at changing axles and boots, but not much engine work.

Can someone tell me what is the best way to get at the carb on this thing?

Not sure if they're similar to the Scrambler to get to the carb, but I know the Scrammy was a pain.

If you had gas coming out of the exhaust joint, chances are it's more than flooded and your spark plug is shot.

There's a product called Berryman Chem Dip. Never heard of it until today, but I guess it works wonders for cleaning carbs. You should be able to find it at most auto parts stores.

You'll just have to get your carb off first.

Like Lep said get a new plug and turn the motor over with the plug out to see if you have spark. If you do take the air filter out and spray some carb cleaner in the intake and try to start it. Leave the choke off. That should get it running until it burns the carb cleaner and it may stay running or at least start sucking gas through the carb. If you flooded it it sounds like gas is going through the carb so you may only need alittle somthin to get it goin at first.

You are right, it is probably a 400. I is 2 stroke. I don't know much about it. I know it is getting spark. I think the starter may be stuck or bad as well since there is not even a click with a new battery. Either way I should be able to pull start it right? I guess that is one way to stay warm in an unheated garage. You guys have given me the bug to tinker with it now, great. I will see if I can play with it tomorrow after work.

Thanks

Well, if it's a 400, you can get at the carb easy. Take off the seat, pull the air box, and it's right there. Try to keep things clean and take the screw loose on the rubber clamp holding the carb down. Unscrew the top and the throttle cable comes right out. Then you just have the supply line for fuel. There will be a clamp on that and it may come off a little tough, but it will come off. After doing it a few times, I can get the carb out and pulled a part in about 5 minutes.

The steps may be a little off, but you can do it. You may also want to pull off the side panels quick for easier access.

make sure the battery is hooked up and has a charge even if you pull start it. With a low battery or no battery it can blow out the lights.

how was it stored? was there a muffler plug? make sure there are no critter nests in the pipe.

Did the fuel get drained before it sat for a long time? If not check the pilot jet to see if its plugged.

Do a compression test on it to confirm the topend is good. Make sure you hold it WOT while doing the test. Compression should be about 120psi if the top end is in good shape.

the compression test will help tell you its shape, but sitting that long with no fire and if no fogging oil its possible for rings to stick. if your getting spark turning it over and you have 120psi or more compresion then fuel is the anwser and the easiest to find/fix.

I never got a chance to get a shop manual, but I looked at it and got the carb apart, cleaned up, and back together. With a new plug it started right up. I changed the fuel and replaced the oil in the front resevior. Tomorrow I am going to break out the grease gun and change the front diff fluids. There is a yellow dipstick on the right side of the engine near the bottom. What is this? I will get a manual from the library tomorrow and I know it will be in there, but I am just curious. Thanks to everybody for prodding me to get out there and just do it.

Breaking out the grease gun is another good idea. If I remember correctly the older polaris's have alot of grease zerks.

No kidding. If I remember correctly, the manual says there is somewhere in the neighborhood of eleventy-billion zerks on this era Polaris. I guess we will see.