• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Today the bog went to the birders.

Today the bog was buzzing with birders and photographers alike. There were ten plus people at a time at the feeding station on S. Admiral Rd and the birds were doing a good job of keeping everyone entertained. The Boreal chickadees made many appearances despite the crowds. One guy started feeding gray jays from his hand, thats a first for the bog jays. There were people of all different ages and from a few different states stopping by for the chance to see a Boreal chickadee. Of course I got some bird shots, but I thought the birders were a little more interesting today.

Some of the photographers.

photopgraphers.jpg

And the crowd started to grow. Look birders and photographers CAN get a long!

birders.jpg

I found this guy the most amusing. I never got his name so I guess we will call him the "Gray jay Whisper." If you visit the bog bring some bread and try it out for yourself.

hand2.jpg

hand1.jpg

hand4.jpg

hand3.jpg

Jim and I met a few carloads of birders this morning at the intersection of cranberry and s.admiral....when I left Jim...I met about 5 more vans/cars on sax road plus some pulled over on hwy #7.....I'm sure their destination was your station...birders were out in force for sure!.....I missed that NHO that Jim managed a few quick images of on s-Admiral....Yesterday there was nobody on the roads.....my kind of day grin

Great stuff, Jay. After you and I split up, I got back on that northern hawk owl along Cty. 28 and did some nice work with the 400 and 1.4 teleconverter in the last light of the setting sun. It landed down a lot lower and let me get very close. Then along Hwy. 7 just south of Byrns Greenhouse I saw a great gray owl just after the sun set and did some work with that one, too.

It was a pretty cool day. A little much socializing, perhaps, but you gotta have days like that too, and of course the boreal chickadee seemed happy to put on a show in front of all those 400, 500, and 600mm lenses.

Man those GGO are getting to be pretty unpredictable in where they are going to pop up. It used to be "just go to Nichols Rd" but thats not the case anymore. I never would have thought of driving Hwy 7 for one.

Steve you should have picked up the dead squirrel on Stickney and drug it around on a string for those owls...grin

Jim how many birds did you add to your life list today?