• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skyscrapers (added photo's)

How do you photograph the perfect skyscraper? My brother in law is sending "the sisters" to NYC (as long as I get on the plane) anyhow, this will probably be the one and only time my sisters and I get together without children so I want perfect pictures.

Another problem, I will be freezing! and I dont want to carry a tripod around with me and I'm fairly confident I will be shaking. If I have to lay on the frozen wet street to get a great shot I am willing to do that. This is going to be a real test for me. Any advice will be VERY appreciated.

DeeDee, the problem you will have shooting tall buildings are the perspective issues. The buildings will appear to have tapered walls. Without shooting with a tilt-shift lens you will only be able to correct that in post-processing.

I love skyscraper shots in the rising or setting sun with the sunlight reflecting off the glass. Tough to do in NYC though because most of the buildings throw a shadow over the next one.

If you are looking for more specifics let me know.

Oh DeeDee - Get on that plane!!!! In August, 2003, 4 of my sisters and I left all the hubbies and kids at home and went to NYC for a 5 day "long-weekend". It was great - We checked into our hotel 30 minutes before the famous east coast blackout, but that's another story. There is so much to photograph in New York, the skyscrapers, the bridges, the streets, the cabs, the people, the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Broadway lights, the World Trade Center area. The guys here will give you great information about getting perspective and lighting right. Enjoy yourself and soak in a whole different world - then share your photos with us, please!

If you are looking for more specifics let me know.

OK in taking pic's of tall buildings Empire State Bldg for example, should I stand on the ground looking up, go in a neighboring bldg looking down, or top of empire bldg looking down? The last one may be out of the question. And then there is Central Park and Ground Zero, I just dont want to screw up these pictures.

Dee Dee, the way to get pictures of a building without getting the perspective issues is to be able to keep your camera parallel with the building. If you have a wide angle lens and can get back far enough to get the entire building in without looking up you'll get square buildings. If you were in a neighboring building about in the middle, that would probably be the best way to get the entire building but you probably wouldn't get the feeling that it's very tall. Otherwise you'll have to do what everyone else does that doesn't have an expensive tilt/shift lens, get pictures of tapered buildings. Do the best you can and some of it can be fixed in processing. Whatever you do I'm sure they'll be great pictures and I can't wait to see them!

Good Luck

I just dont want to screw up these pictures.

Of course, you're going to screw up a bunch. Any of us would. This is the advantage of shooting digital. I'm sure you'll also come away with some real winners, too.

Take note. The wider the angle of the lens, the more tapered the edges will appear. If you can still get a clear shot and get it all in the frame, use as long of a zoom as possible.

Well I survived the airplane, and everything I was afraid of was part of my trip. 4 women and only 1 brought a camera. ME, anyhow, THEY decided to take my camera so it got passed around and there were many very bad shots. I think I have it down to 200 but I need help on some with fog and wash out looking pictures that I would really like to save. I should have them up tomorrow or later tonight. Thank you for the suggestions and I was VERY upset that I didnt have a wide angle lense, there could have been some fantistic photo's. I know what I am buying myself for my birthday.

Thats true, I can hit up family but not my sister and her hubby, they just paid for everything on this NY trip.

Camera XT (good memory) lenses are [PoorWordUsage]!! I'm just disapointed that I didnt have a better one to bring with me.

18-55 and 75-300 beginner equipment

I have the 3rd generation Canon 18-55 IS lens on it's way. I've read on another forum where a lot people upgraded to this from their kit 18-55 and are very happy with the newer one. I'll give you my review after I've had a chance to test it. I actually ordered a refurbished one for $119, due to the limited use I'll get out of it.

I would like to make the first one clearer but can I do that? The sun was just comming up and it was a little foggy. The second one is my sisters amd me.

from left Gina, Tracy, Me. I have about 200 more, I wont torcher you with all of them but I will get more posted.

OK here is a quick rework. I went to levels and adjusted the black and white sliders so they met the histogram at the left and right. This is known as "pinching the sliders".

I then did a color adjustment and sharpened the photo using USM with the following settings. 20, 50, 0. This works as a haze reduction setting in USM. About 30secs worth of work.

450329082_Sh7MD-L.jpg