• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hi all,

I overheard some rumblings about Mud Hen Lake between Siren and Grantsburg, but it doesn't look like much to talk about. Does anybody know anything about it?? Are there any walleyes? The old DNR map info says panfish, Northerns and LM Bass, but that describes 98% of all lakes in WI. Any info would be appreciated.

Good Luck,

------------------

Jeff Phelan

I have had very good success fishing bass in the lake. lots of good weedline structure and adjacent flats. south shore is pretty desolate from what i remember so stay away from that for now. north and ne side are pretty decent. not sure about walleyes.

fish on -
Mud Hen is an excellent bass lake, for numbers and size. Previous posters have given good locations. Don't believe there's any walleyes. Ton's of snakes with a few of decent size
Fun lake to fish for bass

That's all the lake contains as far as game fish populations. There's some big carp in there too. I haven't fished the lake in many years but the last time I did it was loaded with small pike. The bass and pan fishing can be good.

AWH

Camp Ojibway! On Lake Mud Hen, Home of Johnny Stempka
Life is Great there, higher than the trees
Stronger than the cesspool blowing in the breeze!

County Road take me home to the place where I belong, CAMP OJIBWAY! on Lake Mud hen, take me home country road.

It's been a long time since I was a camper or counselor fishing or taking the kids fishing. I think Hope Pres sold the property after the camp was pretty much destroyed in the tornado 2 or 3 years ago.

In the late 80' early 90's it was a good bass, pike, and sunfish lake. Just watch out for the weedpeople and the huge leaches that live under the docks.

as stated its a very good bass lake.. I was just there a couple weekends ago...

If you get a chance down on the end oppisit the boat landing look up in a tree... there is a pontoon boat all bent up and stuck up a tree about 30 feet in the air. Its a site to be seen. I assume its from the tornado that hit threw siren?

Dan, it's through a buddy of mine. A friend of mine's boss, his dad or someone he knows owns a company and it's through there. It might be a company thing but I am not really sure. I don't know any details I just know I was invited by my friend. You said panfish, so is there sunnies and crappies? What other lakes up in that area are good to fish? We are probably going to fish another lake as long as were in the area. We are staying at my mom's cabin on the Yellow River.

[This message has been edited by Iceman12 (edited 01-07-2004).]

the clam flowage is north of siren/grantsburg, and southwest of webster. ever hear of the bar "haps landing"? if you take county "f" north of grantsburg, you'll cross over it, probably 15 miles north of town. good fishing there, too.

------------------
Dan in Webster
Campion Log Works

Has anyone been on Mudhen Lake, near Siren. I will be out there on Sunday chasing some Largies around....water temp??? vegetation, ????? or any other info you may be able to share!!!

thanks---fisher98

Where its at--i need a Tru-Turn hook and a Power Worm!!!

Fish are roaming still or starting to move up based on action from yesterday. THinking this weekend might be better. Anyone have tips, general locations, for where these stagers might be congregating more on this lake? Thanks for any help!

-Catchin' whopper

Did OK this weekend. Got some small ones on Rapalas and the bigger ones came on plastics at the first break. They have not moved to the shallows yet. Maybe next weekend.

I was surpried by the lack of boats in comparison to other years.

The Spook

I need a clue guys.

My in-laws have a cabin on Mud Hen Lake by Siren and I spend every other weekend up there during the summer. My in-laws aren't big fisherman-at all-but they are gaining interest. So the pressure is on me to put them on fish and keep them interested. One challenge I face is not owning my own "motor boat." I usually fish from a canoe when I am up there or occassionally a paddle boat. The in-laws own a speedboat but I don't feel comfortable taking it out myself. So in the summer I am at the mercy of the wind and more often than not fish the northern shore that they live on. I have had no problem catching bass and I've even found some decent sunfish. But I've yet to catch crappies. The neighbor will go out and catch a few but I've yet to figure out his patterns.

This winter I have been bitten BAD by the ice fishing bug and have fully outfitted myself. In the winter I am not limited by the wind/lack of boat and can get anywhere on the lake I am determined enough to drag my sled to. I put in ~10 hours over the last 2 days and hand drilled 20-30 holes. Fished 3 different parts of the lake; the northern shoreline in a couple places from 10-30 fow, and on the western dropoff of the big sunken island from 10-25 fow. caught nothing but puny perch.

Would you guys have ANY recommendations on where to look for crappies-summer or winter? or where I might look for sunnies this winter? Depths to look at? Baits to try? I would really appreciate any advice you might be willing to offer!

I did see some guys fishing the 10' "hole" northeast of the sunken island but I assumed these guys might be chasing flags and pike based on how shallow it is over there. Am I wrong?

I would be happy to share my secrets and or beer with anyone willing to point me in the right direction. I'm not a guy that's going to ice all your fish either-I'll keep a meals worth from time to time but usually catch n release.

tg

tg

I've never fished the lake myself but a friend lives on it. He claims that early spring is the only time anyone really catches those crappies. They should be along the shoreline then.

Sorry, that's all I know.

I've seen a lot of people fishing on the SE side flats before just on top of that shelf if you know where i mean.. Never tried it before but there have definitely been people there in the past years.. Report back if you find anything and good luck!

Ryan