• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

too much ice
winds 40 mph off of superior and stacking shelf ice as we speak. we need rain and a 90 mph south wind, otherwise smelt might have to wait until next year. this weather sucks, the rivers on the north shore suck, everything sucks right now. we need rain...in the worst way, otherwise everything is going to suck for quite some time.

RAIN, RAIN, RAIN! We are going to be Walleye fishing before smelting if we dont get some rain and south winds for a few days straight.
Ya this really does SUCK!!!
Anyone catching any Crappie around Duluth/Superior?

i am catching a lot of a crappie, or should i say a crappie attitude towards this weather. I will maybe try the brule tommorrow, horrible weather = good steelhead fishing!?!?
any reports on the brule for me N'lander?
i just got a new st. croix and its yearning to catch a 28" chrome bumper.

I have not gotten any RELIABLE reports. A lot of " oh ya should have been here yesterday " dump. The bait box says its been spotty with some guys doing well and others fishless. Same old same old. If the weather ever gets decent Ill hit it with my new ST.Croix.

i heard on the radio MPR a.m. that the smelt may not run yet for a couple weeks? this was a dnr fisheries gentelman, he said with the run being pushed back and back that the run might only be a couple days. Hope i'm there when there running then, need some laker bait and a meal or two. The guy at the holiday on london road told me that his buddy filled up 2 five gallon buckets at the lester dip netting, funny becasue i have fished there the last 2 days and have seen no smelt. i think he just wanted me to buy a dip net from him or something. Like most things, i'll believe it when i am there and seeing it! its a system that works well for me!!
the lester is still full of ice. wow this is really something else.....

Wow Dan!!
Talking about mind blowing, I thought I went back in time looking at the old posts.
No report yet on the smelt. All the beaches are clear of ice and the rivers are flowing good , so I don't think it will be to much longer.
I'll post if I here of any other reports.

Jar Jar

What's up with smelt fishing? Is it me, or does it seem to you guys to be a thing of the past?
Years ago smelt would be caught consistantly and in large quanities. Garbage cans, wash tubs, you name it people were filing them with lively wriggling smelt. It seems as though the smelt are either non-existant or hard to find/time any more.
I'm not much of a smelt guy so I'm not the most knowledged when it comes to smelt, but it seems to be a downward trend in smelt populations over the years.
I maybe "jumping the gun" here since it's still early(?) but my question is......WHERE THE HECK ARE ALL THE SMELT!!!! grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

the smelt are in the bellies of the lakers, salmon, and walleye's. Mostly the lakers. Yes smelt are and will continually be a thing of the past. History says when the lamprey nearly wipped out the Lakers, the smelt population went through the roof. Think what happened on Red Lake with the Walleye's and Crappies. Same thing happening on Superior to an extend. Lack of preadator, equals a boom in Crappie/Smelt. With the Lakers doing as well as they have pre-lamprey days we will never see the runs of smelt they had in the 60's. There are many eating machines in Lake Superior, and not many forage machines, thus the decline in smelt. Personally i think dip netting on the North Shore is a total waste of time if you are going for smelt. Stick to the south shore and sein nets for your best luck. I also would like to see the DNR ban dip nets in the rivers on the north shore, becasue of the effects that this can have on the looper and steelhead runs. Just my 2 cents!

Smelt or lakers.....Hmmmm.
I guess it would have to be lakers.
Looper, I never really gave it much thought but yes, that does make sense. Take away a piece of the puzzle and something else will fill it in, similar to the crappies of Red.
Re-introduce lampreys?......Nahhhh! grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Dan we were at the mouth of the Amnicon River on Saturday night and we did well but the guys that were there last night did not fair as well but the river is real muddy after all the rain. Yes the guys are fishing the lake side of park point and are going to be there tonight.

Jar Jar

We did real well last night on Park Point on the lake side off of the Tot Lot. Probabaly about 80 gallons or so. Perfrect slight breeze and plenty of FMers to pull and sort.
Be back tonight about 8 pm.