• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

European Mount

Jigging55

I'm in the process of completing one. It's a pain in the a$$!

I would pay the $50-100 and have it done. I know I will in the future!

I'm at a point now where I'm trying ot get the last of the junk out of the brain cavity and nasal cavity.

Anyone got any tips on ways to do this? Especially the nasal cavity?

Thanks!

Save your money it's simple.....remove as much meat as possible and then boil the head for awhile remove more meat/tissue boil more repeat process until skull is clean and then boil with borax for 30-40 minutes I used stiff wire and an air compresor to get the hard to reach places and then I put the skull in a plastic shoe box size container and covered with several layers of paper towel and kept it soaked with peroxide for a half a day or so and then let the skull dry and sprayed it with clear coat. It's not a hard job but it's kinda icky........keep the antlers out of the boiling water and the peroxide. I have heard people using household bleach to whiten the skull but I've never done it that way. If the teeth come loose run a bead of Elmers glue along the gum line

then I put the skull in a plastic shoe box size container and covered with several layers of paper towel and kept it soaked with peroxide for a half a day or so and then let the skull dry and sprayed it with clear coat.

That's the idea I've been waiting to read!(Thumbs up!)

I just couln't justify buying 8-10 1 quart bottles of peroxide to soak the skull in!

It might be a little too late now, but what I did a couple years ago with a small 8 pointer was to bury the rack in the garden in fall, leave it until at least late spring or even middle summer. The rack came out as clean as can be. Just do not forget where it was buried before you till the garden. My son also just did this with a 7 pointer he got this fall.

Only thing I'd add is a trick learned from an old timer taxidermist. When all finished he mixed plain white elmers glue with water and painted the bleached skull. When the glue dried it left the skull whiter with a slight sheen that was very nice looking.

I just did a 137.5 inch 8 pt that I shot this year. No beetles, just a half hour of boiling here and there, and it wasnt all that bad. I looked at it as 'finishing the hunt'. Boiled it in plain water, soaked it in H. Peroxide, painted in with a polyacrylic, and then mounted it on a tree cookie. Looks nice. I would post pics if I new how.