• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog ate M&Ms

Scott M

I just wasn't quick enough last night when two M&Ms got dropped last night. She swooped in and grabbed them and I couldn't fish them out of the abyss.

Anyways, she got the foretold loose stools, like I have never seen in my life. She's 55 pounds and she ate exactly 2. I know she'll be fine but I'm just wondering when things will subsist. She wouldn't touch her dinner tonight, but we'll try that again before bed. Otherwise she's active and moving around.

I know, I know, chocolate and dogs. I guess I have to be more careful and not have butterfingers...mmmm, butterfingers.

The real danger is xanthines. M&M's don't contain that much. Bakers chocolate has quite a bit more. Your dog shouldn't be affected by 2 M&M's, my friends dog scarfed down a king sized bag and was fine. Sounds like something else. Sometimes dogs just aren't hungry. My Husky will skip meals off and on. Don't sweat it.

Google - chocolate and dogs, and read up!!!

bwtrout is right. 2 M&M's shouldn't be a big deal and not sure if that would cause the issue you are seeing...maybe it could? It would take a decent amount of m&m' to harm the dog. I know the breeder I got my first dog from actually fed snickers to his dog while in the field. If your dog got into something like bakers chocolate I would be much more concerned.

Let me preface this by saying I have a Beagle with a stomach of steel, but he literally will eat anything I think.

Anyways the other day I came home from work and found an empty pan on the kitchen floor. A pan that when I left for work was an entire HSO pan of Special K bars. Yes, covered in chocolate.

Well, the thing is that it's not the first time frown

He puked a few times, had a stomach like Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke" but other than that he has no issues with it.

So here is the technical jargon that will really help you:

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,

Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.

Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.

Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:

1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate

1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate

1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

Special K bars!....awww man those are the best. I would have been exceptionally [PoorWordUsage]'d.

My wife does a cookie exchange every Christmas and last year our lab ate all 8 dozen cookies. Not all of them had chocolate, but a lot of them did. Like posted above, other than throwing up a few times later that night, he was fine.

How many m&m's in 55oz? I don't think 2 is anything to worry about. We made cookies the other night with m&m's and I'd have 2 and I'd give the dog 1, me 3, him another 1... this lasted for quite awhile! grin

Scott - what's your pup look like?

When I was growing up my Aunt and Uncle had a yellow lab that ate 5lbs of wedding cake one time, another time he ate a 6lb rump roast and 2 sticks of butter.

Yes he got very sick on both occasions but its really funny stuff now at family gatherings.

Last week I had 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts in marinade on the kitchen counter. Let one dog outside to do her business and came back about 2 minutes later and my 8 month old Pudelpointer had eaten all 4 breasts and licked all of the marinade out of the dish!!!.

she literally showed no signs or ill effects from the incident! Talk about a steel stomach.

12lbs of dogchow? That's impressive! My dog ate a whole bag of Mint M&Ms last Christmas...definitely made her mouth smell better! grin She also ate half a stick of rat poison that my dad had forgot he put out when we were over to visit. 1 oz of hyrogen peroxide down the throat and 5 secs later we had all the poison back. Nice little trick to know in case of an emergency.

what's your pup look like?

bailwaitingvl0.jpg

She's a little bigger now. She was dropping solid sausages again this morning and late last night before bed. 2 M's was enough to get her going for 1/2 a day yesterday. She's fine. I know she didn't get into anything else, maybe she was more sensitive to it or something.