• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it a "Barry Bonds" buck?

lakevet

A mature whitetail buck is a creature we all dream of. In pursuit of that dream how many cross the line to get it on the ground? How many get their priorities turned upside down (wife, kids, etc. second, baiting, etc.)? How many go out leaving their hunting age kids behind? Or a wife that files for divorce? After admiring and sincerely congratulating someone who shows me his large racked deer, I now ask them if it's a "Barry Bonds" buck. I have gotten a variety of answers. My purpose is to have them consider how far away from their hunting roots/personal values they have been carried by the marketing media and that addiction we all have called deer hunting. It is not to pass judgement. Most stop and think. Some are pleased with the hunt/kill. More are uncomfortable. Others say that they used to enjoy hunting more, but are frustrated because they now feel they should put one on the wall each year, especially after watching the shows and buying all the items that are supposed to get then that big buck, traveling, paying outfitters, ranchers, food plots. The pictures I see usually show one person, male, 20 to 55 yrs old with a buck. Pictures used to be of groups of a variety of people (family and friends) with a mix of does and bucks. The big one is held by the one who shot it, but he is not alone in the picture. Again, this is not to pass judgement, but just to have you ask yourself if you are doing what your values/priorities are. And the next time your gut is screaming that it's prime time to get out on that stand, take your kid with. They might blow your chance to get Mr. Big, but you'll get a reward beyond any book buck. I know I did this year. And my Dad did 35 yrs ago.

Lakevet

Good read lakevet, Your so right getting your kid or significant other out is so much better than any deer i will ever shoot i had this experience this year and got someone addicted to hunting. I only harvested a doe but they now want to start bow hunting cause they thought it was the coolest thing ever. People cant always get caught up in this big buck trend yes it is awesome to shoot that buck of a lifetime but remember there is more to hunting than just that. Again enjoyed the post nicely wrote.

I got to go out once by myself(did get a buck tho). The rest of the times I had 15yr old son, 12yr old daughter that just started bowhunting, 6 yr old son, or all of the above in any combination along. Have to say, it's been my "best" season. Oldest got first buck with bow, really enjoyed the time teaching daughter how to set up shooting lanes and such (not to mention her reaction when I called a buck in to 30 yds,no shot), and ANY time spent with your 6 yr old son in the outdoors is, to coin a phrase, "PRICELESS". 2 deer, but a whole bunch of memories that will still be there long after those two bucks are forgotten. Enjoy them while ya got them fellas.

It does make ya think, I don't have any hunting age kids to leave behind, fiance hasnt left me yet.. But I tell ya, I may be caught up in that trophy craze (I'll shoot a doe first chance I get tho now!!), if I had the cash I would be gone couple months every fall goin after that big one, wouldnt want a fully guided trip , and would never hunt anything fenced... If you arnt in search of the big one, I dont know why your out there hunting...YES! i love bein in the woods, every moment, I have logged 107hrs on stand to date (I keep a log) and I love every moment, and have passed on many deer, but I dont spend that much tme out there to shoot a fork.. I do appreciate it when I see deer out doin there own thing in nature, I get a kick out of it...Yes media has infulenced me!!! Why not, Media shows me the potential that bucks have, lets work towards that... It is much more exciting to see a 160" buck than it is to see a 20" buck, even tho they both get the blood flowin... Thats my 2cents

Well said, lakevet. I have to admit that I sometimes get my priorities turned on their ear regarding archery and fishing. My wife does a good job of pointing out my misguided ways occasionally. Although I'm not always appreciatitve of her pointing that out while she's doing it, she's pretty much always spot on in her assessment.

My son is four years old tomorrow and I brought him out in the ground blind with me this year (before it got too cold for him to sit for very long). We saw one nice buck at about 30 yards- I could have shot, but didn't. I wasn't sure if he'd be ok with me running an arrow through that nice 8 pointer (he's 3 and doesn't understand the concept of harvesting an animal), so we just watched him for a while. That was easily the most enjoyable outing I've had in many years. Something to think about in line with the message lakevet is sending.

Thanks for this post lakevet- I always appreciate a reminder like this to help keep me a little better grounded.

Sounds like we now have a "Barry Bonds" buck pipeline from Minnesota to Texas. I am glad they caught the guys, but saddened that hunters in Minnesota and Texas would go to such lengths to shoot/profit from our deer.

Lakevet

It's a matter of priorities. There are some people who enjoy the quest for the big buck and place a major emphasis on it. More often than not, these people do not have families that are affected. And then there are those who have families, and do not have the time to do so. These people most likely will choose to take a deer and spend time with their families. And so be it. That is life. Priorities. Good for those that choose to spend most of their time after the big buck and those that can't but wish they could.