• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permit for transporting fish house on road

The Chemist

Chemist,
My house is not legal for transporting but I ran lights to the back of the house and drive on the shoulder with the emergency flashers on. When I first got the house, I drove it from Glenwood to Waconia, going no faster than 35-40 miles an hour on the shoulder. pulling off every few miles to let the traffic go by... I was passed by many State patrol and county sheriffs, and never got a second glance.
I will never again drive my house to a location more than 2 miles from where I store the house. I think most police will overlook the illegal size as long as you try to be safe and use your flashers, and aren't driving on a major road. I think putting a slow moving vehicle sign would help also.

i drive truck and i know for sure, that if you have anything ... over either 104" or 108"(i'll check tommorrow) you must have a permit. i know people that have been ticketed for no permit while in transport of there fishouse. i think you can get around it though if you put a slow moving vehicle placard on it. but you cannot go faster than the regs for slow moving vehicle allow.

I pulled my sleeper house up to MilleLacs this spring and pulled an oversized permit for it. The permit is only $15, which i think is worth the piece of mind and it sure beats paying a fine which i think is fairly steep on oversized loads. You can get one faxed over to you in about 10 minutes from the D.O.T. Just have all of your information ready: trailer make,model,length, overall dimensions of the load, trailer weight, total weight, piece count and route of travel. You can get the phone # from the D.O.T. HSOforum. Hope this helps.