• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN DNR and treble hook

RiverFish

Does any one know the reason why the MN DNR does not allow a treble hook to be fished by itself? But it is perfectly legal to add the smallest spinner you can find (which I think helps in dirty water), which makes the same treble hook legal.

My guess is that the mortality rate for catching a fish on a treble hook is greater than a single hook. also not having a treble hook reduces the chances of having accidental hooks in other areas (as well as snagging fish) such as the eyes... or my other idea is that by outlawing the use of treble hooks alone they are taking care of the snagging controversy.

Basically it's a loophole in the law. They cannot outright ban the use of treble hooks, so they had to come up with wording that would make it legal.

Don't think for a second that if you are snagging fish with a treble hook/spinner or bead, that the CO is going look the other way.

i dont think we were going down the alley about snagging fish, but i would like to know why. I know that ND has a paddlefish snagging season so i understand that, but i think most of minnesota's fish have such a value that accidental snagging would be a pretty bad deal.

dtro,

"Basically it's a loophole in the law. They cannot outright ban the use of treble hooks, so they had to come up with wording that would make it legal."

That is my point, why even have the law? What is the DNRs intent by having this law?

I think snagging fish is covered in another rule/law.

It has been my understanding that it has something to do with hooking mortality, or hook up percentages. Along the way someone figured out the loop hole. By adding the spinner blade to the treble hook it now allows this treble hook to fit the definition a lure, and therefore, makes the treble hook legal as a lure.

This is typical of the quick strike set up.

Folke2000

dtro,

"Basically it's a loophole in the law. They cannot outright ban the use of treble hooks, so they had to come up with wording that would make it legal."

That is my point, why even have the law? What is the DNRs intent by having this law?

I think snagging fish is covered in another rule/law.

There are dozens of laws rules that don't have a good meaning or rationale.

Have a good reason why bullheads no longer than 7" cannot be used for bait?

The DNR makes suggestions to the Minnesota state legislature. The legislature makes the laws and does not have to take the DNR's recommendations. Talk to your local legislator. The CO has to enforce the laws regardless if he or she believes in them.