• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullet Makers

Neighbor_guy

I need to vent here a minute...

I HATE the fact that some of these manufactures are contstantly changing or dropping things from thier lines. I am a firm believer in knowing your firearm and I like to shoot a lot. For some reason I have found that I like to shoot and my guns work best with Fedral Ammunition. I shoot both the more expensive fedrals and the cheaper American Eagles but they are a pain to find consistantly. mad

I finaly find a handgun hunting round I am happy with and they stop producing it. What the....

I have tried em all. Winchester white box for range time, with grey box for a hunting round. No good. Incosistant, dirty as all get out, and open groups. Remington handgun rounds are a joke.

I just dont get it. A guy tries to support a local company (fedral being made in Anoka) and get rewarded with the fact that he can not get the rounds he wants 10min from that dang plant.

The dnr is flapping about high speed bullets and lead fragments. "I shoot fused rounds, shouldn't be a problem" Untill You Can Not Get Them In A Caliber You Used Them In The Year Before!!!!!

I made some calls today and was told "with the worry about lead fragments in deer they decided to focus on rifle bullets and not so much on their handgun rounds" AAARRRGGGHHHH that make me angry. So I looked around and sure enough, not a single box of Fusion in any hangun calliber in the 3 different stores I went to today.

Dont even get me started on .40cal range or PD round availability.

In threw the nose, out threw the mouth. Guess I have to start buying buy the case as uposed to a few boxes here or there.

Good thing I stocked up the rifle rounds before they started plating them in gold. sick

I had this problem with Federal Fusions a year or two ago. I bought a box. I shot 1-1.5" groups with them. I thought, "hey I found something". The next year I went to get more. Same caliber and bullet weight. I got home and noticed they were slightly different. No canellure on the bullet and a different color primer. I decided to take them to the range. This new batch shot 4" groups. I tried a batch from another store. They grouped OK but were 4 inches higher. I have been using them for offhand practice.

Another one that drove me nuts. A year ago I was at a major sporting goods retailer and wanted to get some plain Remington core-lokts in the green and yellow box. .308 - 150 grain. They did not have them. They seemed to have every kind of fancy $35 dollar a box bullets under the sun. I just don't feel I need some fancy expensive bullet to kill a deer. It kind of makes a guy want to reload.

I am looking hard into reloading equipment just to eliminate the variables. I have spent over 150$ trying to find a round that shoots well out of my bolt, and I'm still not satisfied. one day its 1 1/4" groups the next is 3". I'm shooting off of a caldwell lead sled on the ground. time to reload.

Reloading doesn't save you money but you can get accuracy and consistency. whether it is for handgun or rifle, reloading is fun and I hope to be cost effective. I think it is truly the only way to get accurate ammo without winning the lottery. case in pt. 58 Hornady vmax in 243 is 36 bucks for 20 rounds. I can reload the same bullet with almost the exact same accuracy at 32 cents a round, 1/5th the cost.

of course it is a hobby (reloading) and the more you get into it, the more stuff you will get relating to it. I have been meaning to do a post on reloading basics and have not done so, maybe this week will be a good week to start it

I also am upset about this. I reload for my 300 Rem Ultra Mag, I had been using barnes XLC 150 gn. Barnes discontinued the XLC, and now the Trip X is the hot ticket. I just finished loading 15 rounds tonight, and what a pain in the [PoorWordUsage] they are. Im going back to sierras its just not worth it loading those things.