• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My kid and fishing...

CALVINIST

So funny, my kid Lucas who is eight, just loves dock fishing. He doesn't really care if the fish are very big, but I am convinced he would stay on a dock for hours and hours if he could. Whenever we head to the lake, the first thing he wants to do is get on the dock and fish. Then when we are done in the boat he wants to get on the dock and do more fishing. I hate to be a killjoy telling him that he is done fishing and we gotta go.

Lucas with a bass caught dock fishing. This bass was on some shallow rocks. He tried to get this bass to bite for a couple hours before his persistance finally payed off!

dockbass3.jpg

It's interesting how his love for fishing has evolved over the last few years. I used to have to really convince him to go fishing, and then he would only last a couple hours at the most. At times I doubted he would stick with it, but he has. Now he is a full fledged fishing junkie just like me and will never turn down the opportunity to fish. With the fall fishing cranking up I would love to see that kid get his first muskie, and believe me, he fishes for 'em. You should see the serious look on his face when fishing for muskies! Recently he caught a 30" pike on a muskie topwater. I'll bet one of these days he will get onto a real trophy!

He get's really torqued when he loses a nice fish. We were fishing up north last weekend and he was using this big plastic tadpole we found at the baitshop (scumfrog type with paddletail), he fell in love with that lure right away. Then a giant pike came along, exploded on it and trimmed him. Boy was he mad. Fortunately there was another one at the baitshop so we got another. He definitely wanted to kill that pike for taking his favorite lure mad

He even created his own fishing lure last weekend, he was so proud of it. It had a float and sinker, a hook and a plastic worm that is supposed to be fished like a Carolina rig. Interesting and I bet it would catch something too.

Now that he has some endurance to him, I plan on some longer fishing trips with him, hopefully getting him onto some good ice fishing this year too. I am so grateful that we both have something we enjoy doing together. Many times when we go out he will outfish me, and I like it when he does that! When I outfish him he gets all sullen, but I just tell him, that that's fishing.

Anybody else want to share their child's love (or lack of) of fishing?

Way to go Calvinist! I remember being a kid sitting on a dock all day long catching perch and catching bullheads all night. My parents couldn't get me out in the boat, I loved that dock. Looking back that's how I learned to fish, I'm not much of a "tell me how to do it guy," I'm more of a "let me sit down and figure this out" guy. All that time paid off.

I've got a 5 month old girl so it'll be a while but I look forward to heading out with her.

T

I also took out one of my moms daycare kids this late summer . (just before the water started dropping) we trolled cranks for about 3 hours and he couldn't of had more fun . he would put the fish in the livewell and then go and play with em after he got his line out . by the time he got up front and the door open on the livewell he had another one on !!

1222292669.jpg1222292667.jpg1222292666.jpg

here are some of the big ones he cought all by himself

This brought back a memory. We were at a cabin for a week and my middle kid caught a modest size northern. She took that fish to every cabin at the resort and knocked on the door so they could see her fish. She was just as proud as can be. I failed to make a big enough deal of it however and she lost her enthusiasm. Now I couldn't get her out for love nor money.

I kick myself for not taking a picture and blowing it up and putting it on the fridge or something. Sure would be nice if she'd spend some time in the boat with me.

I don't have any kids yet(and very thankful of it, I'm gripping on to my youth as long as possible!) but I had tons of fun taking my little sister out fishing when she was a kid. All she ever wanted to do was catch tiny bluegill at my grandparents' lake house, but we finally got a big fish on her line when we went salmon fishing this summer in alaska.

Kids bring a whole new level of enjoyment to fishing. It is like starting all over again! It brings me back to the times when I begged my Dad to call his buddies, so they would take us fishing(we didn't have a boat). When I'm out with them, I really don't care if I get my line in the water. I just enjoy watching them. My son's favorite are the "tinies". He always wants to catch a little one or tiny one. He could play with them in a bucket for hours!!