• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any successful moles terminators out there?

GudeMN

Had a pretty bad mole problem this summer. I even had my lawn care company treat for grubs before I saw any sign of mole activity this season trying to head them off early. The buggers had a field day this year anyway. I'm not noticing any new activity so it may be too late this year but any ideas would be appreciated so I can formulate a plan next spring. Thanks.

The best luck I've had has been with a trap, the kind that has 6 plungers on it. I modified mine by adding about 10 lbs of lead to it so it was much more effective. Without the extra weight it would usually just push itself out of the ground rather than puncturing the mole.

Of course, when you set it, you have to pre-puncture the ground with the plunger spikes so they are able to penetrate down into the mole. Even still, the extra weight yielded a tremendous improvement in kill efficiency.

I use Talpirid. Its basicaly like a plastic worm you put in the mole run.

I think Menards are home depot sells a product called Tomcat which is the same thing.

Works great and if done like the instructions say, you will get rid of the moles.

My dad bought some traps on line, cost him about $40 ea, but they do the trick. He is traping all the moles in Anoka Co. for everybody he knows. 2 hours to get mine in the back.

You step on them to set and they have 2 sets of fingers that the mole goes through and BAM it grabs and kills the little suckers.

I use a garden hose and a ice chisel. Start at the beginning of the run and block it with the chisel 3 to 4' in from the end. Use the garden hose (without a nozzle) to flood that first section. If he's in that section he will have to come up for air and when he does use the chisel or a large screwdriver to dispatch him. Just keep moving the chisel a few feet at a time until you get to the end of the run. I step down the raised run as I finish each section. If you don't find him by the time you get to the end he's not there. Just check the run for a new "Raise" a couple times a day to see if he's back.

I used some TomCat pellets I picked up at menards. Put a few in each hole as I mowed the lawn. As I mowed the lawn the next week I added pellets to any holes that had fresh activity. By the third mowing I wasn't seeing any new holes/tunnels.

Thanks for the ideas. My uncle just mentioned the plastic "worms" from Menards. I think I will give those dudes a shot next year. The maze of tunnels is too far along to try and flood the vermin. I will be on top of things next year as soon as they show. Thanks again for all the input.