• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wasp Control/Traps...advice needed.

Thunder

HELP! My backyard has been overtaken by wasps and what appear to be yellow jackets - to the point we're not comfortable being outside. I looked everywhere, and can't find a nest. I've read about a wasp trap you can make at home using a 2-liter bottle (essentially cutting the top off and flipping it over like a funnel back into the base of the bottle and inserting some bait). Has anyone tried this with any success, or does anyone have any other solutions I should try?

We've used the plastic bottle traps for several years at the resort we go to each summer. We use the 20 oz. bottles and they work really well. They can get in but can't find thier way out.

We've figured out the best baits are about 1/2" of Mountain Dew or Bartles & James original wine cooler. The least effective are Coke or Dr. Pepper.

Before I completely finish a beer I just leave it out on the deck with about 1-1.5 inches left. I like to add a bit of sugar to sweeten it up. Anything sweet works. Haven't tried Dr. Pepper or Coke yet. I've got about 6 bottles out in front and back and each is nearly packed full with yellow jackets to the fluid level. They start coming in and getting trapped within minutes. The problem is, we still have a mess of them flying around. Even though I've now caught, maybe 1000, it doesn't seem to make a dent in the population at all. There are commercial traps out there that work the same as the liter bottle trick but why spend the money when these ideas work.

The nests become inactive especially after the ground freezes. Insect activity in general is slowing to a crawl with the recent cold weather. If what you're talking about is one of those large, nearly basketball or football sized paper nests in a tree, that's likely a baldfaced hornet nest. The fertilized queen has very likey left the premises, leaving the workers to die in the cold. Some divorcees may know the feeling. She is overwintering in a sheltered spot under a log, in some leaves, in the nook or cranny under the siding on a house, etc. The old nest is not re-used although your wife probably will not be amused if you bring it inside even after it's been cold awhile, speaking from experience. They do make a great show and tell conversation piece for kids if they're interested. While they can be nasty, they usually won't sting unless their nest is threatened. They do provide natural control of some insect pests so there is a positive side to them. Paper wasps are a far greater problem around my farmstead, especially when painting under the eaves and one flies up your pant leg. Another good reason not to paint! There's a good description of the life cycle control, etc. on this link. The photos are not real spectacular but think you get the drift:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG3732.html

Good thing I browsed through here, I just got stung in the basement of our house again this evening. We always have some in our basement, never a lot, but always have 1 or 2. Can't ever find a nest.

Now I'll admit I can't tell a wasp from a hornet, I just know I don't want either in the house anymore. We have a big open hamper for laundry and the buggers are always in that laundry.

I am going to give the pop bottle trap a try. Thanks! Those stings hurt!

DD

I too had zillions of the things flying around the yard and they appeared to be coming out of the ground from a nest somewhere. I haven't seen them because of the cooler weather, so I was thinking about digging up the area where the nest was and take a look. It was scarry in August, almost like the plauge there was so many of them. I called an exterminator and they said I had to locate the nest for them first. Well, if I knew exactly where it was, why would I need them? A well placed shot of poison would have taken care of it if I knew where to put it.

The ground nesting ones are horrible. My wife tied into some a new months ago while gardening and carried one into the house and it got me in a millisecond. There still is a bump there. It took severel nights of dousing it with the wasp juice to do them all in. I'm not sure 'digging around' is the wise way to locate the nest.

If you can see the wasps flying around, why not let them show you where their nest is? Just sit still and watch for a pattern in the flight and move progressively closer to where they are headed. You should be able to find where they go into the ground, the stone wall, or wherever the nest is. When you have it located, just go back about an hour after dark and give them a half can of hornet & wasp spray into the nest. After dark they will all be in there and the stuff kills on contact and through vapor action. Very effective.