• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"The Tower"

While my goal this morning was "fall things"...I came across some guys on the WDIO tv tower up on Maple Hill here in Hibbing...apparently doing some sort of renovations,additions or upkeep...I figured I'd try a couple different shots(from the same spot) of them with 2 different cameras just to see how a wide angle shot from my Lumix ...then at 18x zoom...then with my digiscope at "full zoom(and manfrotto of course)...I was amazed how close that digiscope "draws and pulls in" the detail.....Have achieved some amazing shots with the digiscope this summer and the "bokeh" is free!...just playing around grin

lumix at no zoom, wide angle of the guys a few feet up the tower...(the dark spot just above the tree line)

Frame_P1040925-1.JPG

at full zoom 18x Lumix

Frame_P1040923copy.jpg

digiscoped full zoom...I was surprised my self in this comparison....can even read the"crafstman" on the guys tool pouch...

Frame_DSCN3286-1.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-5/714330/Frame_DSCN3286-1.JPG

Thanks Guys!...I can't say it compares to the picture quality of the "big guns" but sure accomplishes what I want/need it to do!...it gives better quality shots then my other cameras...but the scope itself is responsible for that...great optics!..plain and simple!...another of the guys on the tower...these guys are about 100 yards away!

DSCN3288-1copy.jpg

Icewoman....I bought the the camera and scope as a "kit"(last December) ...the camera a Nikon P-4(8.1 meg) and the spotting scope a Nikon ED(Extra Dispersion Glass) 50...both came together in one box as a kit with all the necessary adaptors,eyepieces.etc that one would need for the camera and scope ....saved a lot of frustration and time buying it as a kit instead of trying to figure out what camera needs what adaptor seperately...Price for the kit was about $700.00 and that was a "Christmas special"...the lens is eqivilent 576mm @ "wideangle" and 2,016mm at "full zoom"....Sure have had a lot of fun with the set up but it requires a lot of patience grin...one's subject must be "rock solid still" or one will capture the slightest movement as a blur...not good for "bird in flight " shots! grin...one "must" use either a window mount tripod or a conventional ball type tripod(I use both "manfrotto")...and a cable release........still unlocking the secrets of digiscoping grin

here's the window mount and Nikon scope/P-4 camera...

Frame_DSCF9725-1copy.jpg

I am intrigued by the thought of Digiscoping....I have a nikon d40 dslr and a nice point and shoot kodak digital. My main function would be to take pics of my birds at the feeder. I liked your shots, very nice. I was confused by the many options available for scopes..I will have to do some more research on this. Where did you pick up your kit?