• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you hook YOUR minnow?

Fishy-gurl

Most times on a jig head that hangs horizontally I hook them through the lips. If I use a split shot 6" above bare hook that hangs vertically, I hook them through the back. I seems to let the minnow swim more naturally. If the bite is slow or if I have too big of a minnow, I bite the tail off to limit its mobility. Nothing secret about my styles. I'm sure you will find most everyone has heard of them, but they work for me so I stick with them.
Les Shaw

It kinda depends on how I'm fishing, if I'm jiggin, through the lips or in the mouth out the gills and up through the body, if I'm still fishing or bobber fishing, through the back under the fin just under the skin.

Ole

i learned a new way of hooking aminnow this winter, start hooking it like you are going to hook it through the back, go halfway through then turn the hook point towards the head and bring the hook point through. because fish tend to bite the minnows head first, everytime i have used this hooking method i have hooked my fish right in the upper lip and have yet to lose a fish this way.

When I fish for crappie I use a Rapala Jigging Rap. I pinch the head right off and put it on the bottom treble hook. If I use a regular jig I hook the minnow through the lips then pinch the head off so the head stays on the hook. Than you can use the other parts of the body later if you want

I hook big fat heads and shiners the same way bobb-o hooks em. The hook runs parellel to the body this way and the hook point is always facing forward. Hook of choice for this is the kahle style.

crappie minnows - usually just straight through the back behind the dorsal.