• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nothing spectacular, but broke my dry spell!

A new acquaintance phone me yesterday and let me know his hummers were back. When I first met him, he told me they always come back on August 15. He was right on the money. This friend lives just 6 miles out of town and attracts quite a few species of birds, and has the most marvelous flower garden. It's like a piece of heaven.

Anyway, I went out there this morning and only had opportunities with this one female hummer. She was quite the challenge. i had never attempted a hummer shot before. I couldn't resist the goldfinch with that colorful background. That's also the only reason I shot the dragon. These flowers sure add to the photos.

Hopefully next time, I'll find the male hummer.

2782016063_ae5f21f687_o.jpg

2782011929_4fc04e9db3_o.jpg

2782030957_0eaf04990b_o.jpg

2782034901_3bd7ea22cc_o.jpg

2782039067_7596fae70d_o.jpg

2782863946_c6f6a3e885_o.jpg

Mike, I'm way glad you got these. And you nailed them.

IMO it's the setting, not only the subject, that makes an image something to catch your breath. All this sweating over tight portraits of birds on perches with blurred backgrounds is fine, and there are some great images made that way, but it's not what most bird lovers want to see.

IMO, your first two images, with the male goldfinch echoing the brilliant yellows of the coneflowers, are excellent. The light is a little harsh and still fairly high overhead, but a small amount of work in shadows/highlights in photoshop can knock that down, and the flowers and the way you framed them are top notch.

Also IMO, the last of your hummer images is the best of them.

You've got images there to be proud of.