• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A very versitle Tripod!

I have been researching tripods lately, with the intentions of making a purchase. I read up on one that appealed to me and then I had the opporunity to look at in person at a Winnipeg based photo retailer shop.

The tripod is the Giottos MT 111 Pro model. It is everything as advertised and more...

It's multifucntion ability offer you a wide range of use under the most difficult conditions you might face in the field. Strong and stable too!

Stu, STFcatfish steered me towrads a Bogen Manfroto 721B. Love it for most applications. Only one complaint with it but other wise a lightweight, sturddy set of sticks.

Steve, the more I use the MT 111, the more I love it! It has features that really does set it apart from conventional tripods. Take the multi-function center column. It has a unique extendible boom feature that is awesome. This feature allows you to set up on your subject from virtually every conceivable angle. It allows you to set up directly over your subject or you could set up directly under it! The other night when I was shooting those tree frogs, I never would have been able to captured some positions. On some, the frog was posed on the outside of my aluminium deck rail. The multi-angel boom allowed me to set up and over the top rail and shoot down on the subject. Keep in mind I was shooting at night so trying focus on a subject without spooking it was a little touchy at best. This incredile boom feature allowed me to get some shots that would have been very difficult using most other means. I know you can score the MT 111 for a reasonable price state side. I paid full retail in the 'peg as it set me $179.00 plus 13% in extra sales taxes. frown

I should also point out that the MT 111 is incredibly strong and stable! When I was shooting those frog pic's via the extendible boom feature, I had my 100-400 set up, it handled the weight with ease!

Most reputable camera retail chains will carry this great product!

Paul, I shot my 100-400 for three years off the 724B and never had any slippage, no matter what the angle, once the ball was reefed down. I've been shooting my 400 f5.6L (only a couple ounces less than the zoom) off it for quite awhile with no problems, either.

It's rated to just under 8 pounds, and while there a lot of folks who recommend a tripod much stronger than the rating calls for, you're still only shooting about 4 pounds off that tripod with the 100-400/XTi, so that's about 50 percent the weight the tripod/head is rated for. If the ball is slipping with that weight when it's fully tightenend, you might try sending it to Manfrotto and see if they'll replace it.

Stu, I've used loaner tripods with the extendable boom arm and they are way cool. I'll keep an eye out for the MT111. Do you know what its weight rating is?

There's no doubt a solid tripod makes ALL the difference in a lot of situations.

I use the Manfrotto 3021B Pro which I think has been replaced by the Manfrotto 055XPROB . It has the horizontal and reversible center column as well.

I also can't find any mention of your model Stu. I checked the web site for Giottos, nothing even close to that number?

It sounds like it is almost identical in features to my tripod though. I believe mine is rated around 12 lbs. is yours in that same ballpark?

Guys, the model I purchased is the 9360. It's rated for a maximum of 8kg's or approximately or a whopping 17.6 lbs!

I'm not sure why you can't obtain any info on the product. They are even being sold on hsolist...

This tripod is a MT III series, the III is not the actual model number. Here are the model available....all the way up to about $400 shocked :

MT9371 Giotto's MT III Professional Aluminum Tripod 3 Section 69"

MT9360 Giotto's MT III Professional Aluminum Tripod 4 Section 63"

MT9370 Giotto's MT III Professional Aluminum Tripod 4 Section 65"

MT8361 Giotto's MT III Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod 3 Section 71"

MT8340 Giotto's MT III Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod 4 Section 60"

MT8350 Giotto's MT III Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod 4 Section 64.5"

MT7371 Giotto's MT III Professional Lava Tripod 3 Section 69"

MT7360 Giotto's MT III Professional Lava Tripod 4 Section 63"

MT7370 Giotto's MT III Professional Lava Tripod 4 Section 65"

Stu.......that straightens it out, your first few posts refer to a model MT 111. I did find the model you are now talking about! Very nice looking tri pod.

Great info, Stu and hemi.

I'll definitely look into that one. I won't be picking up a new tripod until I someday luck into the 500 f4L, which weighs about 8 lbs. With a total max camera/lens weight of aroudn 10-11 pounds with the combo and the 1.4 TC, the 17-plus rating of that tripod will be plenty, and should handle it when I rent/borrow the 600, too.