• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

String Silencer Suggestions

The string silencers, or leeches as some call them, are shot on my bow, i was looking for suggestions about what to replace them with. I have a 2007 Hoyt Vectrix 70 lb. It came with Fuse "custom" strings(all hoyt vectrix bows do) and Fuse String Shox, made with Limbsaver NAVCOM material. I have just gone through my third set of fuse string shox since i bought the bow a year ago and was wondering what other products are out there and how they perform. What is the standard life for string silencers, mine seems kind of short.

The fuse silencers seem to be the best when it comes to durability. The bat wing style always seem to break apart from my experience. Do you serve them in? Are they breaking apart or are they just flying off the string?

I have tried the leeches, bat wings, and cat whiskers.

The leeches worked but didn't last long. Maybe a month of shooting and they broke up.

The bat wings didn't work that well but lasted until I took them off.

The cat whiskers work very well and have no signs of wear.

I'd go with the whiskers if I was you.

I have done the leaches, yarn, beaver balls, and wiskers. Both with compound, and recurve. IMO the best investment and the best results come with the wiskers, on both forms of bows. The others work, but they fall apart faster, are more sensitive to weather, and are just one more thing to wory about.

It does not matter what you use if you dont put them in the right spots on your string, so take your measurements, and place them right. I forget the target spots for compounds, but some others should know.

The first ones were not served in, but the current ones are. the top one has started coming apart, some of the "wings" have come off. The bottom one is all there, but it looks like the string is starting to cut through it. If someone knows more about the measurements, please let me know, this is the first i have heard of such a thing.

If someone knows more about the measurements, please let me know, this is the first i have heard of such a thing.

The measurements have to do with the harmonic "nodes" created when your string vibrates after the shot. It happens with all strings, it is just a matter of finding those "nodes". The "node" refers to the spot the string apears not to "move" when the string is vibrating. With my recurve, I measure the distance between the contact points on the limbs and divide by 3. That is the first and most important number, as it tends to be the loudest one. I measure down from the contact points and place the first set of (usualy) wiskers at that point. I then divide by 4, and repeat. So I have two sets of wiskers, trimed, on my recurves.

Looking back at the tuning notes for my compounds, and my exwifes compound... It looks like I had the best results with the 1/3 node on my bow and the 1/4 node on hers. This measurement was taken from the last point of contact between the cam and the string. Keep in mind your peep site when taking these measurements, You may not be able to use one or the other depending on that location.

Hope that helps.

So, Neighbor_guy,

When are we going to set up my bow???? You've told me many times before that its way too loud, but never said anything about knowing that much about fixing it!!!

Boy the things you don't know if you don't ask... winkgringrin

Saturday A.M. - the range?