• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rage from the blind

vister

I can't wait till i get to fire away with my 2-blade rage mechanicals. However, i am also trying something else that is new to me this fall. Hunting out of a ground blind. Have, or do any of you guys/gals shoot mechanicals through the "shoot through" netting on blinds? Do they deploy early? Does one blind work better than the next for shooting through? I haven't bought a blind yet, but I'm sure it won't be a 400 D bull. maybe $150 cabelas model. Or should I stick to fixed blades through the blind?!

The cure is fairly simply if you have an issue with the blades deploying on you. Take the mesh windows out.

I have guided handicapped archers for 8-9 years now counting this season. Almost all of my hunters have hunted from my Double Bull blind. I have removed the camo mesh window for my hunter to see better. Every season my disabled archer shoots his or her deer without the mesh windows. The disabled dudes have to sit very still due to their handicap and it works well for them so it should work finer for all the rest.

Just watch what you wear for clothing in colors and don't miove much.

It works fine and has been proven to work for years.

Yes, I am REALLY asking this question. I actually called a rage rep in wisconsin about this matter, and he said that they do not deploy from hitting shoot through netting, unless at shots of extreme angles. my question was has anybody used them through the netting and found out otherwise. i wasn't asking if this is a stupid question. thanks for any helpfull advice, but i'm sure fixed are the way to go

No, you did not ask a stupid question at all. If they do deploy, it could result in a wounded animal. I would take a few shots at different angles through the netting and get ones own results to get your answer if you have a blind to try.

Sorry if I offended you, That was not my intention and sarcasm is hard to show in print. I have delt with this in the past couple of years, people shooting threw the mesh at anything other than a 90deg angle and missing or wounding critters after deployment or partial deployment. I was just suggesting if you wish to shoot threw the mesh, a fixed blade is a better option. When shooting from a blind you are shooting from a level position and the "planning" that some people get with the fixed blades from stands does not occur.

The primary property I hunt has pulled the plug on expandables. If you wish to hunt, it is fixed or nuthing. Started out just for guys with blinds, now it is everybody. To many bad experiences, mostly from the few guys that used the shoot threw blinds.

Thats really wierd as I have seen guys hunt with these expandables many times without any issues. Last year, I also set up my blind and shot to see what might happen and I found no issues. Maybe different type netting or something.

You won't have a problem with fixed! You might have a problem with expandables. Is it worth it to you to find out on the buck of a lifetime or any deer for that matter.

Go on some of the archery forums on the net and you'll hear the vast majority of archers say that they've had problems shooting expandables through the mesh. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

I hunt from blind a lot. I shoot fixed blade, but I still cut 4" wide verticle strips out of the mesh to shoot through. Mostly I get claustrophobic in the blind and need a little bit of clear openings to look and shoot through.

I also think that the Rage, a broadhead that opens from the rear, will not be an issue shooting through the mesh. I had this same question years ago and contacted DB directly and they told me they shoot through their screens with expandables. They told me to double the rubber bands around the head and they have not had problems.

I also think that there are many good fixed blade heads on the market today that fly so good that there is no real reason to shoot expandables any more.

And the debate goes on...