• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Worst Day Fishing

1 LIPRIPPER

We've all heard the clichés..."bad day fishing is better than a good day at work; Work is for people who don't fish; etc." But, seriously tell us about your worst trip fishing.

For me, I was fishing a summer night tournament just after getting my first boat...a fish n ski.

When we left the ramp it was cloudy. But as we made our way out onto the main body of the lake the clouds thickened and the wind picked up. The farther we ran up the lake the bigger the waves.

Suddenly, we hit a large wave, which rushed over the bow of the boat breaking one of the windshields and filling the boat with water. We scrambled around, headed for shore with the bilge pump working for all it was worth and us bailing water with a coffee can. Then the rain came...heavy.

There was a covered, private boat dock nearby so we took cover under it. It was really weird watching the golf ball sized hail stones plopping in the water. Splashing violently.

Then, as suddenly as it arrived it was gone. We finally got to start fishing. It was tough. Tournament started at 7pm and was going to end at 11pm. It was now about 7:30pm

We caught a couple, but nothing to write home about.

At about 9:15pm, we pulled up on a shallow water marker and began casting our spinnerbaits up on the hump. Then, I heard the strangest sound...it sounded like static from an am radio. It was coming from my rod. The higher I raised it up the louder it got. My partner said, "Look at this!" As if by magic, his fishing line began to lift out of the water. I told him, "Let's get out of here! Now!!" Static electricity was in the air.

We cranked the big engine and ran across the lake for cover. We beached the boat on the sandy shore and in one movement we both ran out of the boat up to a covered picnic table. This time when the rain, thunder and lightning passed we got in the boat, headed back down the lake to the ramp, dropped our fish back in the water, put the boat on the trailer and left, thankful to still be alive.

On the way home we were listening to the radio and the news anchor said there had been a tornado on and near the lake. We had no clue that a tornado had passed through.

The next day we learned that not one of the 63 boats in the tournament had caught a fish. They all left.

If we had just weighed in those three fish...

Now, what about yours???

A couple of years ago my son and 3 of his friends came up for opener. They fished all day in miserable weather. It was in the 30's, very windy and steady rain. When they came back to the dock, 3 of them got out. One of them said "Drove 500 miles to get here, wind, rain, cold, 1 fish-- couldn't get any worse than this". The last guy jumped onto the dock carrying the battery. The dock went down with them.

Lake of the Woods a few years back. Wind came up while we were out on the big part of the lake. 2 other guys with me in my boat both got seasick it was too rough to try to run in so I decided to just ride it out. When I asked them to look in the hold of the boat to see how much water I was taking in as I couldn't see bilge pumping out water both, refused to put their head down. Every time I looked in back of the boat the transom must have been at the top of the wave because I didnt see any water. I finally decided to try to make it to shore. When I took off water came up on floor, the built in gas tank seal leaked, water in tank, motor died. 1 other boat in our party towed me in. Tow rope was to long to be able to pull me into the harbor at Arnesons. Couldn't shorten up the rope with the big waves. They lined me up with the opening and cut the rope. Just when I made it perfectly through the opening. I looked back at the tow boat to see them take on 2 waves. Waves pushed their boat on the rocks. 2 guys got out of tow boat 1 stayed to tie rope to the boat to have a truck pull their boat off of the rocks. When he tried to get out of boat, he fell, boat smashed down on his legs. He was pulled up to the top of the break water. Ambulance was called no broken bones but badly brusied legs. Their boat totaled most all rods and reels and tackle was lost. I felt like [PoorWordUsage] being the cause of all the damage. I'm pretty sure that was their worst fishing day also.

I stopped fishing tourneys just that reason. No little green fishy is worth damaging your boat and equipment, or possible loosing a life over.

My motto: "If serve weather is near, my boat doesn't float."

Better to save the equipment for another day.

eyewarrior yours is def. tops but this year I went to ontario and we fished all day with one fish caught. We finally found a point at 5pm that held fish and we caught our limit in 15 minutes but only kept a few really nice fish. We went back at 9:00 to finish off our limit and immediatley I hooked a 4lber. Boated it and then the bugs came out thick. for the next 30 minutes we retyed 4-5 times a peice. lost some nice fish and finally we decided to leave. tugged on the motor, nothing happening. attempted to start the motor several times before we decided that the trolling motor would need to be used. which ended up dying 200 yards from shore. In the next two days my roke my pedestal seat, lost my anchor and stepped on all of the leaches.