• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip line with Fluocarbon leader?????

Minnetonka

I plan on spooling up with some new line and I am looking for some input. I have one Genze lighting rod that I use for Walleyes. I usally use 6 pound fireline on this. I am thinking about again using 6 lb. fire line, but add a leader (6-8 feet) of Flurocarbon. My questions are this: 1) What brand Flurocarbon line do people like best? 2) What pound test of flurocarbon line whould people recomend for a leader? 3) last question, I am debaiting using a small barell swivel to tie my regular line to the Flurocarbon line, or, tie the leader to the line with an appropriate knot to join these two lines. My thought with the swivel is that it will cut down on line twist from jigging, but I am afraid that it may get hung up on the rod eyes.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

I tried spooling two Crappie rods with 4# Vanish, and it sprung off the spool. Now, I just use a two or three foot leader, and the rest is Berkley Cold Weather line or Fireline. 4# leaders for Crappies and Perch and 8# for Walleyes. I tie the two lines together without a swivel, but be sure and wet your knot or you'll weaken the flourocarbon line when you tighten the knot.

I like to use Berkley Vanish. I'll add a Vanish leader to my tip-ups for walleye as well. Sometimes I'll use 4 pound test and sometimes I'll use 6 pound test. Works great on clear lakes. Only problem is when that big pike comes by... wink.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I have two Genz Rods I used for walleyes. 30 inch med and the 29 inch med/lt. Both of them are spooled with 10lb Fireline. I tie a 3-4 ft leader of flourocaron on with a blood knot. I use 12lb test and have been very happy with it so far. Once my spoon or Jigging Rap hit the water the leader disappears even at that heavy weight of line. Flourocarbon refracts light similarly to water from what I understand. I believe it. I've caught more walleyes this season through the ice than I ever have. I use the heavier Fireline because I figure with a leader that length the fish aren't really going to interact with my main line so why not have the peace of mind with the stronger line. That's my train of thought anyway. 10lb Fireline comes off the spool nicely, it does have lots of memory but then again I usually use Pimples, Do-Jiggers, Buckshot Spoons, and Raps with it, so those heavy baits take the coils out for me. And the way Fireline telegraphs hits is worth it's weight in gold in the winter with those light biters. This is my theory, take what you will from it. Good luck.

Brad

i have tried all sizes of vanish and seagaur and although vanish claims to be so much stronger than other brands, seagaur has hands down blown away vanish. seaguar has (in my experience) way better knot strength and line strength, winter and summer with rigs. i burned a lot of rigs one day on mill lacs when i had to use vanish #8 because i ran out of seaguar #8 and vanish is all i could find on the way up. i actually gave up on the vanish #8 and went with some seagaur #6 and my problems were solved. seagaur also stays pretty limp in the winter compared to vanish. wet your knots.

I use either P-line or Seagaur as a 3-4" leader. 4# for crapp's and eyes and 15# for lakers. I both use/dont use a swivel depending on what the rod will do: deadstick = no swivel, aggressive jigging = swivel.
I have heard that some folks have had issues with vanish, especially in winter. I've got a small spool of 6# that I'm reluctant to use.
Xplorer

PS: Make sure to wet down all knots very well before cinching them down with flouro (actually all knots period), the heat caused by friction can easily weaken the best-tied knot significantly.

[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 01-16-2004).]

after bad experiences with vanish and okay experiences with the seguer (sp) stuff - i started using (at the recommendation of a steeheader) that maxima ultra green. i stuck with it cause i have much fewer break offs with about the same number of hook ups. i use 4 to 6lb test depending on the kind of fishing im doing. its usually found with the fly fishing stuff.