• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rigging the Tip-up for Pike

buzbunni

So I'm gonna buy my first tip-up tomorrow, and thanks to all you generous FMr's I pretty much have most of it figured out.

Here's the one question that's still doggin' me: After the the braided line section (that's what I'm going to use anyway), do you tie the terminal line directly to a steel leader?

Is it necessary to have a mono section from the dacron to the steel leader?

Is it just the same type of leader I would use in the summer for the toothy critters, i.e. a snap on the end which is where I attach my rig/hook. Or do I just attach the QS rig or hook directly?

Thanks all.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

I would recommend using vinyl coated line rather than strait braided line .. you will appreciate it the 1st time you bring a fish on the ice in the cold weather and your line freezes in a pile... or you go fishing a couple days in a row and your line was wet from the day before ... now spool is frozen like a rock when you try to set up the following day and you have to thaw it before fishing.

As for leaders .. I prefer Mono or florocarbin(sp?). I will use floro for walleyes, perch, etc ... and 30#+ mono for pike leaders.. have not had a pike cut it yet.

For pike, try using a spinner blade(#3) pegged a short distance above your minnow... The fluttering blade will draw more attention, and usually better results. It doesnt hurt to be a little creative .. within reason.

Thanks FD.
How do you peg the spinner?
Any memory line coiling problems with the vinly coated lines?
Anyone else have their favorite rig ideas?

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

[This message has been edited by buzbunni (edited 01-10-2004).]

I have never had a problem with braided line freezing up, in fact it is much better that mono in that regard. I would be scared that vinyl would offer too much resistance spooling off, however I have never tried it.

I use a 30" 20# mono leader and 1/4 oz. weight (no steel leader or snap). Also I am real big on the Kahle style hook, I use them for everything.

Go get'um!

[This message has been edited by almosthaddabite (edited 01-10-2004).]

Buz, I use the vinyl stuff too, I don't like to use the braided when its cold. Don't have any memory problems or anything usually, and it's east to handle. I have about 8 ft of 17lb mono before my leader, but that is just my personal preference.

What line you use really isn't that important, as long as it's strong. Mono has memory, and in the cold will come off in slinky spools. Vinyl-coated tip-up lines are stiff and quite expensive (I like to use large capacity tip-up spools, and the lines are too rich for my blood), but do not absorb any water. Braided line, like the old dacron, is tough as nails but does absorb water and freeze stiff. If you have a lot of money, get the vinyl-coated and spool up lots of it. If you don't have a lot of money, the old dacron braided in 30 lb (black is easiest to see agains the snow/ice) is the best bet.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages, and I've used them all. For truly large pike, I like the 50 lb Fireline Fusion, which is inexpensive and coated, which keeps it from absorbing water.

I have seven tip-ups spooled for various species. For pike, I've got two with 20 lb mono, one with 50 lb Fusion, and one with 30 lb black dacron. All are hooked up to quick-strike rigs.

But to answer one of your original questions, when you're using tip-ups for pike, you can just tie your main line to the wire leader. There's no need for a mono splice between them. Pike don't seem to care if the line's visible or not.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I have always used 20 Lb. black Mason nylon coated braided tip-up line. This year I am trying the Southbend Invisaleader in the 8" length and 27 Lb. test. They also have a ball bearing swivel and cross snaps. I see at Gander Mnt. they are also carrying the Southbend Titanium leaders may have to give them a try as well.