• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Handicap Ice Fishing

frog63

I am a paraplegic and wheelchair bound. Does anyone know any handicapped people who icefish? I am from Indiana and our ice usually isn't even safe for for atv's when the fish are biting real good. I am dying to go icefishing, again.

Hey Froggy,

Welcome to FM.com! I originated from MN, but went to grad school in IN at Ball State and in the two years I was there I never saw fishable ice.
I used to know a fella in a wheelchair who icefished around here quite a bit. However, I never did fish with him so I can't give you much in way of details. If you're thinking about coming around here for a fishing trip, I know several guides at Lake of the Woods who would do whatever it took to see you had a good time. Let me know if I can help set something up.
Scoot

frog,

Welcome to the Fishing Minnesota forum addiction arena.

I am in my first year of teaching people with disabilities how to alpine ski; if there are people who can ski up here I am sure there are people who are fishing.

I know the that the organization that I volunteer for takes people fishing in the summer, but I have never heard anyone mention ice fishing. I think I will have to do some investigating...there may be a new program in the works thanks to you.

Would love to take you out fishing if you're up in this neck of the woods ever. Charge up that wheelchair so you can haul all of our gear out onto that hard water smile.gif.

Take it easy.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

My father-in-law is also in a wheelchair and in March I'm thinking of heading home and taking him out because he used to ice fish all the time and loved it. He has a portable trike and a John Deere Gator though. We'll probably just take the Gator out on a nice enough day and he can drive out a boat ramp. Maybe you could test drive one or rent one?

Ice fishing is a great activity for anyone! I had a lot of birth defects that needed major surgeries to correct in my hips, so I couldn't walk til I was almost 5, but I ice fished! My grandma used to pull me out on the lake on a little sled in front of the cabin and cut a hole, then put a minnow on for me. then I would lower it down to the bottom, then soon would pull up a plump perch! I thought I was magic, turning those minnows into fish! Those perch wern't the only thing that got hooked back then wink.gif

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}("< ---><!>

[This message has been edited by Cyberfish (edited 01-09-2004).]

Sorry about the email guys. It's available now. I can find good ice in Indiana but the real good bite is during first ice(not very thick ice if you know what I mean). I thought about using a sled but I am not exactly slim and trim and that way isn't very mobile. I was hoping to find a way to use my wheelchair or something so I could be more mobile. I guess my friends are going to have pull me around. It's the only way that I can think of. I really appreciate the responses, though. It is nice to know that you people are so wiling to help.

I have a friend who is paralyzed and in a wheel chair. We as part of a group went up to LOW last year ice fishing. Before we went, I had thought about making some "ski's" to mount to the wheels out of some aluminum channel. Anyhow, he thought that he wouldn't need them, so I never made them. We all went fishing, and it was a little tough pushing through the snow, but I didn't care. He was/is my friend, and he is going to fish! He had a great time fishing and even though I didn't personally catch anything, it was reward enough to see him having a good time. It is memories and friends like that, that make ice fishing fun for me.

woodyjdh,
That is really cool what you did. It's good friends like you that helps people like your friend and I have a better life and hope for our future as regular people. I'm sure that your friend is very appreciative. Oh, and better luck next time. There is nothing like some friendly competition when it comes to fishing.

frog63,
I am also a disabled fisherman/hunter. I know it can be tough to get out. I'm lucky in that I can walk, but I use a crutch and I'm pretty slow. My biggest problem in the winter is the cold. I've found that most resorts and outfitters will do their best to accomodate you if they can. There are a lot of disabled sportsmen's groups throughout the country that help out those of us that need a little extra help. Shoot me an email and I'll pass along some info on some of the national-level groups that may be able to help you out.

Kurt
[email protected]

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)

Dont let somthing like this stop you from doing what you love. You should have no problem if somebody pushes you out and takes care of what ever you need. Last year I went out ice fishing on crutches all season. I had a leg lenghthing. I even went deer hunting and got my first deer on crutches, I have heard of people doing amazing things even if the have a physical injury or are wheel chair bound.
Good luck and dont let people around you tell you that you cant do it. You can

It's so nice to have all you people trying to help me. Believe me when I say that I will go ice fishing. I love fishing too much to not go. I've been thinking long and hard and I will find a way even if I have to crawl out on the ice.

I work with a guy who has CP and uses a wheelchair to get around. He can use crutches on a limited basis. He loves to fish and I have taken him several times on open water. He is going with us to Red Lake the first weekend of February. My plan is to drill a couple of holes and set the Otter as close to the truck doorhis door as possible. We will help him transfer to the bench seat of the Otter. Then I'll put up the canvas. I've also asked my shop forman to add some ice cleats to a walker. I'll lend him some boot cleats and hopefully he can move around with the walker.

Anyway, he is going fishing even if we have o lift him up and put him in the house. Which he is agreeable to.