• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Stamp?

Boss Hogg

Maybe while you were or are attending UND...take an Econ class or Poli Sci. As Sandman stated, things change once we all grow up and have a family. Trust me, I can afford 5 bucks and some but as most have stated, we give plenty already.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So the money can only be used for walleye stocking activities and NOT for bike paths or muskies." Laws can be changed, case in point is the money from the State Lottery. when approved the money made was to go to the DNR, now more goes to fund education than to the DNR. This will quickly be siphoned to other pet projects.

Bingo!

I can't say anything that I haven't said before about what is wrong with MN. Walleye stamp, you gotta be kidding me. Duck, trout... walleye?!

Next up: Crappie stamp! Pike stamp!

Then "Oh, since we're stamping everything that grows in a lake, were doing away with the stamps and "SIMPLIFYING" the angling license for the great state of MN, and just charging a $120 one time annual fee! Remember, vote for me!"

"So the money can only be used for walleye stocking activities and NOT for bike paths or muskies." Laws can be changed, case in point is the money from the State Lottery. when approved the money made was to go to the DNR, now more goes to fund education than to the DNR. This will quickly be siphoned to other pet projects.

You can change that with your vote. Hmmmm, now what governor did that.....

One way they could use the money they have more efficiently is to completly stop all stocking efforts on red lake. I worked road construction in the area when the walleye fishing was closed and it was still very easy to purchase walleye fillets from the tribe members if you wanted to. If a lake is netted let the people who are netting it replenish the fish. If they miss manage it then they can harvest the suckers that will take over the lake when the walleyes are gone.

I can't believe the amount of complaining I'm reading on here....let me ask a question and let's all be honest with ourselves.....if we really love to fish, what will we do to continue to fish?...............The bottom line is that this thread (and entire web site) is about fishing and nothing else....so forget the rest of the [PoorWordUsage] and worry about what we are going to do to continue to do something we love, and want to pass on to the people who need to love it the same way we do..........**** a little food for thought*******YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE IN LIFE BECAUSE OF THE DECISIONS YOU HAVE MADE******* don't complain about being nickled and dimed to death because there's nothing you can do about it except for vote......and to put things in perspective.....AGAIN....ask yourself this..."Do I have a boat?"...next, "How much do I pay to have this boat??".....then, "How much is it worth to me??".....finally, "Can I still fish without a boat?".........the answer to the final question...a resounding YES!!!!!! so don't worry about the $5 dollars you are going to have to spend to fish our state's fish....and ask yourself some of the important questions about continuing to do something you love.....

There more you can do than just vote. You can have an open discusion on the subject. Then when enough people call their represenative and let them know this is not what we want then it just may not happen. So complaining can do good.

So ask yourself would you rather sit back and be rail roaded into something you dont want or Do something about it. I wont list the many things we have gotten stuck with because not enough people complained.

Some people get a little irritated when told what they should worry about, how to think, or what to believe in. In fact some might find it quit offensive when lectured to about anything. It's one thing to have a discussion on a subject of mutual interest. It's another to attempt to brow beat someone into your way of thinking. Go ahead and tell me what you think. I will listen and respect you for it. But don't tell me what to think.

I can't believe the amount of complaining I'm reading on here....let me ask a question and let's all be honest with ourselves.....if we really love to fish, what will we do to continue to fish?...............The bottom line is that this thread (and entire web site) is about fishing and nothing else....so forget the rest of the [PoorWordUsage] and worry about what we are going to do to continue to do something we love, and want to pass on to the people who need to love it the same way we do..........**** a little food for thought*******YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE IN LIFE BECAUSE OF THE DECISIONS YOU HAVE MADE******* don't complain about being nickled and dimed to death because there's nothing you can do about it except for vote......and to put things in perspective.....AGAIN....ask yourself this..."Do I have a boat?"...next, "How much do I pay to have this boat??".....then, "How much is it worth to me??".....finally, "Can I still fish without a boat?".........the answer to the final question...a resounding YES!!!!!! so don't worry about the $5 dollars you are going to have to spend to fish our state's fish....and ask yourself some of the important questions about continuing to do something you love.....

It isn't about $5 it is about continuing to give the state more of our money to waste. If that is OK with you feel free to send them as large of a check as you wish, I am sure they will accept it.

Originally Posted By: fishin4fun85

It isn't about $5 it is about continuing to give the state more of our money to waste. If that is OK with you feel free to send them as large of a check as you wish, I am sure they will accept it.

Upnorth is right as usual. I'm not whining, I'm sick of continually being asked for money. I pay my license fee every year and gladly pay it. Isn't that what this is for? I'm not worried about $5, it's the principle of the matter. All these people that keep saying, it's only this much or that much, I never see you writing a phat check to the cause no matter what the cause is. If you believe in it so much, then give extra. I like to help wildlife and have worked at the rehab center nursing animals back to health. I've played the big brother role to single family kids that I know. I do what I can to help out, but don't come begging me to do so.

I guess it sounds to me that the "complaining" is being done by the minority that feel like there should be no reason NOT to donate more money to the DNR.

What will I do to continue to fish? I'll get in my boat and go. I guess I still fail to see the gloom and doom of the future of fishing. People have always done it, and they always will. I'm still waiting to hear(short of Canada), what state offers better fishing opportunities than MN.

Maybe the question should be asked:

What will an additional 5 dollars per fisherman(before long, I'm sure it would mandatory for all), do to improve the walleye fishing in MN? Would it improve the opportunities to catch a walleye on LOW? Mille Lacs? Cass? Big Stone? The Mississippi? Ottertail? (insert your lake of choice here)? I suppose one could make the argument that we could fill more shallow, marginal waters in the southern half of MN with Walleyes, and aerate them for more opportunities for the winter months and until June when they weed up and turn pea green for the rest of the summer.

Will it save the DNR budget from going into the red from the vast sums of money spent now on Walleye stocking?

Somebody sell me on "What will it do".

Quote:

Right on. But...

Too many taxes and fees get "sold" based on one thing, and then get unraveled by the next year's session so that the reason they got agreement to collect money no longer governs the fee or tax, so it then just becomes general funds that lose their audit trail. MN has one of the largest "general funds" in the nation (12th largest, vs. 21st in population) - we trail the majority of the nation in traceability and accountability for the tax and fee dollars extracted from each person's wallet.

Its not about $5, I'd pay it for now. But, to watch this state's people, including myself, get robbed over and over and over again without just causes that stand even the most feeble tests of time and common sense ... at the least, that is worth "complaining" about in MN, but I would call it healthy dissent instead.

If more people started rejecting tax and fee increases first based solely on MN's track record, this state might have a chance against the rest of the nation. But right now, MN is being left in the dust by more progressive states when it comes to public policy toward natural resources - and another fee will just cover it up for another few years.

Ironica example: As of last year in Utah, you can now fish TWO lines and the walleye limit went from 6 to 10 - where walleyes are not native! In MN, where walleyes are native and are stocked, we can't get past one line and they are talking about reducing the limit from 6 to 4.

I can find more than enough examples, like this one, across the country from the last 5 years to convince me MN DNR and our legislators are not up to the task of managing this state's natural resources. They may know the science and have PhD's in forestry and biology, but they get an F for fiscal management, public policy, and consituent accountability. They can stick any new fee where the sun doesn't shine, walleye stamp, whatever!

Quote:

Right on. But...

Too many taxes and fees get "sold" based on one thing, and then get unraveled by the next year's session so that the reason they got agreement to collect money no longer governs the fee or tax, so it then just becomes general funds that lose their audit trail. MN has one of the largest "general funds" in the nation (12th largest, vs. 21st in population) - we trail the majority of the nation in traceability and accountability for the tax and fee dollars extracted from each person's wallet.

Its not about $5, I'd pay it for now. But, to watch this state's people, including myself, get robbed over and over and over again without just causes that stand even the most feeble tests of time and common sense ... at the least, that is worth "complaining" about in MN, but I would call it healthy dissent instead.

If more people started rejecting tax and fee increases first based solely on MN's track record, this state might have a chance against the rest of the nation. But right now, MN is being left in the dust by more progressive states when it comes to public policy toward natural resources - and another fee will just cover it up for another few years.

Ironica example: As of last year in Utah, you can now fish TWO lines and the walleye limit went from 6 to 10 - where walleyes are not native! In MN, where walleyes are native and are stocked, we can't get past one line and they are talking about reducing the limit from 6 to 4.

I can find more than enough examples, like this one, across the country from the last 5 years to convince me MN DNR and our legislators are not up to the task of managing this state's natural resources. They may know the science and have PhD's in forestry and biology, but they get an F for fiscal management, public policy, and consituent accountability. They can stick any new fee where the sun doesn't shine, walleye stamp, whatever!

EXACTLY!!

One thing about your Utah example though, I would guess that populations and licensed anglers have something to do with that though. I understand your point, and there is no logical reason we here should not be allowed two lines, but you'll hear those that will scream, if our limits were increased... .

But you are right on money about our legislature and DNR.

Quote:

Right on. But...

<--------- Standing and applauding. One of the best posts I've read on this.

WOW! I have to agree with others on here and say that if $5 is a problem then you need to pick another sport. I have not seen any threads about shinners for $7.00 a dozen. I don't think the $5 fee has anything to do with most of the agruments on here, it is distrust with the local government. I know the DNR has done such a terrible job so far, I never catch any fish. confused To say they waste money and would spend it all somewhere else is just you being paranoid of government spending. Has the government spent money foolishly, YES! Do they always waste money and not do what they say, NO!

I think we have one of the best stocking programs in the country. And to compare Utah regulations with Minnesota is just comedy. They are two very, very different states.

I am not telling anyone to buy the stamp. I just think the state has done a great job so far on the thousands of lakes in Minnesota. I think you would be suprised to know how many lakes would be void of walleyes if there was not a stocking program. And they are not all 8' duck ponds. There are a lot of lakes that just can not have natural reproduction.

Ok, swing away guy! whistle

I think we have one of the best stocking programs in the country.

I am not telling anyone to buy the stamp. I just think the state has done a great job so far on the thousands of lakes in Minnesota. I think you would be suprised to know how many lakes would be void of walleyes if there was not a stocking program. And they are not all 8' duck ponds. There are a lot of lakes that just can not have natural reproduction.

Ok, swing away guy! whistle

So what's the additional five bucks going to get you? shocked The walleye fishing in this state is good.

The DOD does a great job too. Do you have a problem with 500 dollar toilet seats?

What added benefit is the stamp going accomplish?

As was mentioned before, should there be Bass stamp too? Maybe two, one for largemouth and a seperate one for Smallmouth. Let's not forget the Bluegill stamp too.

As long as it was purely optional, I could care less. Like others have said, odds are it wouldn't stay that way.

I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure someone out there has them or can find them, but how much money is taken in each year by the state in hunting and fishing licenses, both res. and non res., with the correponding stamps?

And if you don't think your legislators will be drueling over a DNR windfall, one probably needn't look further than the Mn State Lottery, or the 3/8ths tax bill to get an idea.

Distrust of our state govt.? Absolutely!

Maybe we should start an organization for Walleyes. Something like Walleye Fishing Unlimited Forever. If the state starts collecting money for stocking fish there should be a citizens group seperate from the state that could offer some oversight/guidance for this stocking program.

Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever have done a lot of good for hunters in providing both birds and places to hunt. Both orginazations keep tabs on where the stamp money the states and feds collect goes and add in private donations to create some pretty good hunting compared to what could be.

Even the snowmobile trail stamp started a few years ago goes to help local clubs operate a pretty decent trail system in this state.

If the walleye stamp becomes a reality I would hope there is somecitizen group that could work with the state to ensurethe money is well spent. If not we will probably be seeing "Walleye Way Memorial Bike Trail" Signsall over the state.

I agree with whoever is going to pay the the 5 bucks its a once a year thing. dont buy one crank bait and theirs your 5 Bucks. I do agree with people concerns with where the money is going but I do think it will go to the stocking.

I agree with whoever is going to pay the the 5 bucks its a once a year thing. dont buy one crank bait and theirs your 5 Bucks. I do agree with people concerns with where the money is going but I do think it will go to the stocking.

You aren't seeing the other side here....it ain't the money, it is the govt perpetually wanting more of our money and giving us less for it. Yep the 1st couple years the money will go to stocking and then it will be wriggled off to something else the state would like to spend it on. It happens over and over and over.

Well believe it or not the government is not trying to take your last dollar. Unfortunately I live in the metro area and I am unable to go to Lake of the Woods or Mille Lacs every weekend. I usual fish a metro lake a couple times a week. I know without a doubt that the lakes that I fish would not produce fish like they do if it were not for stocking programs. If you don't believe this you are just sticking your head in the sand. I will choose to buy a stamp. If you choose not to, well that is your decision.

The fishing license fee is $18.00 in Minnesota for a single angler. Wow, they are really sticking it to us for a whole year of fishing. I do not know another sport which is cheaper than $18.00 a year!