• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best hunting and fishing times tables

gophish

going from the subject about moon phases, what do you guys think about the best hunting and fishing times tables found in the papers and magazines. etc. I tend to go by them when catfishing but the fishing in my area is always so slow taht its hard to tell.
i'm interested to see what you guys have discoverd. esp. related to ice fishing.

I believe the moon phases are bogus unless it's a full. I think and believe more of what I've experienced with the barometer and temperature along with the current bite. Yes it only applies to places you've experienced in different scenarios, but it's true.

------------------
searchin skys for eyes

My life is way too busy to worry about the moon phase when I am going fishing. It may have some effect, but I have always maintained that the best time to go fishing, is when ever you can.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

[This message has been edited by Minnetonka (edited 01-10-2004).]

Amen, Minnetonka...
Seriously though I have been watching them tables for years my two sources are mainly “Outdoor News” & my “GPS Unit”. Neither has really produced accurate perditions of a great harvest but that is not to say I was just not doing the right thing, who knows???
I still think that it is somewhat a part of their activity but I don’t know if it becomes the bible as they say. I just don’t think it makes or breaks an outing…

------------------
Hook Em Good!!!!!!!

S.D. Ice Angular;
NRA, DU, NWTF,
Varmint Hunter
& NAHC Life Member

The way I have always understood these tables is that the times given are best to catch a bigger, or "trophy" fish.They supposedly are more active during these times.

Not necesarily great numbers of fish.

But, like most good things...

You need to be in the right place at the right time with the right presentation.

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day :)

yah, you are very right minnetonka.
thanks for your input guys. it is just one of those things that i usually check after i'm fishing. LIke if i catch a good bite or have a hot streak for a while i will check the time and then compare it to the tables when i get home.

If you ask me, I think the weather, winter or summer has the most to do with fish and game activity!
Stable weather 3-4 days of steady calm days and nights seems to equal the best fishing time bar-none!
Good Luck!

what seems to always work for me is...

Plan to fish,Fish my plan.

Keep it simple and if it works,don't change it...and it really is simple! Good Luck fishing...and i really don't pay attention to those time tables and or moon phases.

I can tell you the peak feeding times of almost every day of the year for most every fish. Roughly sunrise to two hours after, and one to two hours before sunset and however long after, depending on water clarity and species(walleyes might bight all night on some lakes).
I never understood how they can say peak feeding activity will be at noon on some day. I can almost gaurantee the fish will be more active in that last hour of light versus the "peak" period at noon.
This is generally speaking of course, and maybe I just don't understand the tables very well.

gill man

In the 45 years I've been fishing I remember one afternoon the walleye were just about jumping in the boat! When I checked the solar table afterwards it was one of the times on the table it showed a blank time for that day. Just when I thought I had it figured out.