• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ford f-350 7.3 liter power stroke

Can anyone help me out I have a 2000 7.3 power stroke. Why is it that it is so hard to steer sometimes and it seems the brakes are tied to this problem as well. are there any fixes for this besides tradeing it for a duramax?

I would say brake booster! Could be a power steering pump, but most likely a brake booster is going.

I have seen these in the past on the same rig.

4.W.E. might be able to explain why better, but they are intertwined together. When I had a truck with this issue, it turned out to be a brake booster.

Quote:
When I had a truck with this issue,

What I mean, is when I would have a truck come in for this same concern grin. Just wanted to clear that up!

M55 brings up great points to check first!

I will add, I have seen more boosters than pumps, but I have seen my fair share of pumps also.

When are you having increased steering effort? At stops, with brakes applied hard, as in parking maneuvers? If this is the case it is a normal concern for 7.3's, Mine has done it since new as have they all. One thing I have found is to relieve some foot presssure to the brake pedal. This is due to hydra-boost and lack of engine rpm there by reducing fluid pressure and volume. It can be verified by slightly raising engine rpm and detecting a change in steering effort. There are no adverse effects on components if this is what you are experiencing.

By the way, if this bothers you to the degree that a new truck is neccessary, I may be interested in taking the old broken down pile of junk off of your hands, rather than having to send it to the bone yard. Let me know.

Yes exactly what Capt Don said. The power steering pump supplies fluid to the steering gear, and the hydro boost system. If you notice it off idle then you may have a problem. If it is only at idle with your foot on the brake this is a normal condition.

If it is worse now then it has been in the past, I would try flushing the power steering pump first. Then if it doesnt get better its a 50/50 guess of pump or hydro booster. If you replace the pump replace with an OE pump. The only way to diagnose this for sure is to install a power steering system analyzer to it and check what the pump pressures are. Problem with this, very few shops have an analyzer.

As for trading it in for a duramax, thats up to you, I am not a duramax fan! And as Capt Don stated put me in line for taking it off your hands before delivering it to the bone yard wink