• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So I take another 10 shots at a Cardinal sitting on the ground in the green grass and none of them turn out good. The red is always so dang red and washed out. I use the auto setting on P on my S2IS powershot. Should I play with the exposure? All tips appreiceated. grin.gif

Don't See any thing to look at? Maybe put up a test shot. then we can all take a stab at tearing it apart byte by byte. Nah I am just kidding, but if you want to post one of your not so pretty pics I am sure someone could toss a suggestion to you.

Was the sun glaring on it? Did you check your histogram? If the camera was exposing for the grass, it should be darned close. If it was exposing for the red, it could be overexposing, which would render everything too light and washed out looking. Like Paul said, post a picture and maybe someone can give more definite feedback.

These look good to me. I don't see a problem. I also don't understand your description. If it's "so red" how can it be "washed out," which to me means dull and pale?

Can you describe it differently so I can understand?

I also don't think they look bad, especially #4, could it me your monitor adjustment? I don't have that camera, but maybe P is program mode and not totaly automatic also?

Thanks

DMN

Actually, I think the exposure looks pretty darned close on all of them. With a bit of a levels adjustment, you could darken up the bird a bit, but they're pretty darned close the way they are.

That last shot is close to exactly what you want. #2 and #3 are a bit bright. With cardinals you need to back off just a bit on the red channels or you loose feather detail as well.

I'm probably wording it wrong. On the last one I went minus 1/4 on the exposure and I can see it helped. Maybe washed out isn't the right words. The reds seem so bright on the first 3 and focus is weird. On the 2 that were cropped I enhanced the focus a bit. I like them but I just can't get the focus I get on other birds. I'll keep playing with it if he keeps posing for me. Thanks for the comments.