• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stupid Stud Track Damage

lets line em up

That depends....you talking sprint.....or distance?

I'm a Doo guy (always have been) so I know enough to respect a Mach Z for speed (owned 3 Machs) but if you wanna go distance, yup I'm in! I only have a lowly Renegade right now but still went over 300 in a day 4 separate times this winter, with the biggest day being 345. I cut my season short on the last time out though. I had a ring locator pin go away and the ring turned in the cylinder and got eaten by the exhaust port. smirk I figured it was a good time to freshen it up anyway since its getting close to 8000 anyway.

I made the mistake of studding my Yamaha V-Max. Never again. When I got my 700 XTC the dealer asked me if I wanted it studded and I said no thanks.

Yeah, I had better control in the corners and better braking. However, just seeing the damage I was doing to my own garage floor made me realize the damage I was doing, unintentionally, while crossing roads, sidewalks, etc. Down here we do a lot of drift busting and ditch banging, and while we have nice trails, we don't have near the trails other areas have.

Mac is right, if you go into a corner too hot and lose it, it's the operator not the sled. Stud em if you want to but be aware of the damage they could cause while out riding.

As far as the damaged docks go, this could be a case of the 2 percenters giving things a bad name.

Back in the late eighties and early nineties, studs where all the rage. I remember my first set I installed in my Yamaha SRV. I spent a lot of money on them back then and the tool, plus the time off season. I found out the hard way you do not just slap studs on, there is a whole other realm you enter with studs, at least back then. Plus the extra stress on the drive system meant more worn Jack shaft bearings, chain case issues and worn expensive belts. Not to mention the extra up keep to the track if you loose one and maybe it is different now-a-days, but your track life dropped by half cause of rips and tears.

Out of the couple studded tracks I have ran over the years, I found the opposite of this:

Quote:
The one who uses less thumb will be the guy with studs, the unstudded guy will be using more thumb to keep up.

I think the studs give you a confidence level that is very high. When you hit that blind corner and the studded track hooks up, I have seen more rollovers with studded tracks. When you have an unstudded track, the bite is not as active and you are more cautious around blind corners and throttle back. This is only what I have experienced.

IMO, studs are for the q-mile runners and people who really like working on their sleds.

Gentlemen, This is not a stud vs no stud debate. There are pros and cons for either option.

This is about responsibility period. It was the responsibility of the riders of those sleds doing damage.

If you take this same argument and use guns, or fishing or ATV's as the topic it still is valid and is about responsibility.

The point here is we love snowmobiling,ATV'ing, hunting and fishing. When we are enjoying these activities we are watched closely as representatives to these sports. While you may not like it, just be mindful people are watching and judging the sport based on your actions. This is totally inclusive whether it involves the sport or not. So this means, pick up trash on the ice, be polite, don't be drunken idiots and respect other people and thier property. Have fun, and be a great ambassador so you can keep enjoying your favorite sports.

If you can take every opportunity to influence others in the sport to be positve models as well.

just my $.02

I'll go with H20Fowlr. Yes each does have dis/likes. But I see it during the fall and summer when I am out on the trails biking and hunting up here on the North Shore. The Studs rip through bridges, road, sidewalks, driveway approaches, ETC...... All that it is doing is giving the people that don't like us already another new way to 81tch.

Also whether it be good or bad snow each sled is going to hook-up better or worse depending on the conditions.

SledNeck- Id be more than happy to line em up with you on a good base of like three feet of snow down a trail, I don't know of anyone who is going to keep up. But God knows my Summit isn't going do a [PoorWordUsage] thing on an Icy trail. Mainly because it would blow up after 10 miles and then also any snow that would be on the trail would be gone because I would spin it all off and there would be peices of my track to remain.

Yeah i think this all what a guy chooses. I had a sled with 192 studs and I dont think that many studs helped my gas mileage any. Of course since then I have slowed down a bit. I run a 136 in track with 1.25 in lugs. Would need some fairly long studs to clear 1.25 in lugs. Like others mentioned that its all personal preference. Only about 5 more months til you can ride the thing anyway

I dont ride alot a few times a year and until last year never thought about studs as I mostly was on flat area Last year a group of us from all over the state went ice fishing at Moosehead lake and stayed at some cabins well the unstudded snowmobiles couldnt make it up the hill due to ice well now I want some! is there a minimum number studs to put in to be effective? and is it hard to do? after all I have a 93 skidoo safarri with a 377 in it that I pull a Otter village with. sled is in perfect shape but is older so wouldnt want to spend a mint on it