• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Water Boat ?

riverkid21

I'm looking into buying a 2002 Alumacraft Lunker LTD 16.5' boat. I would like to use it on some bigger water like Mille Lacs and might take a couple trips to Vermilion. Would this boat be deep enough to handle a little chop on the water or should I look into something a little deeper?

I had an 04 16.5ft Alumacraft. Vermilion is no problem, except for when the seas are big and have a long fetch like down Niles Bay or down Wakemup narrows into the bay, or Big Bay, or whatever. Mille Lacs, on the other hand, was too tough to tame. I was 2 miles out last summer and the wind came up. I was pretty sure I was going to be swimming by the time we got back to Isle. We made it, but took a few over the bow. All in all, if you aren't challenging mother nature, you should be fine. Just isn't going to provide you the safety of say a Lund Baron or something.

If you plan on fishing those lakes I would seriously consider spending a little extra for a larger boat. I went out there 2 years in a row for full moon in october. Of those 6 days I spent 2 on big sandy because I couldn't handle the waves. Nothing worse then not being able to go out when you know the fishing is great. I was in a 16 and a half foot deep v with 40 horse 4 stroke btw.

Many factors to consider…..

I had the same boat you are looking at getting. I fished Mille Lacs, Winni, and Rainy with little problem, MOST days. There were days on these lakes where I was down right scared and went in or days I never made it out. Obviously it depends all on the weather and using your head. More than once it ruined a weekend trip not being able to safely get on the water for a day or two. For me I fish just about all big water so I have upgraded twice now since owning the Lunker.

If you fish a lot of big water I would suggest going to something wider, deeper, and longer. But if you fish small to medium lakes mostly and venture on big water from time to time the Lunker is a good choice. It also is kind of like playing the lottery…….Every day you chose to fish could turn out to have a perfect small walleye chop and you would be fine. But, the opposite can happen and you may have 3 or 4 foot rollers and be beached most days.

If big water is your choice go bigger.

Matt

Midnight totally hit the nail on the head. I have a 16.5 foot alumacraft with a 75 on the back. Mostly fish metro area and the croix and it handles great for those. Went to mille lacs last year and hit 3 foot rollers. We had the power with the motor to get around on them, little scary but had great fishing. Any bigger than that and would have had to turn around. If you fish big always, go big with a boat. If it's just time to time, then you are fine.

I learned last week end a boat will take more than me. I have a 17.5 sportfish so she's pretty wide. We hit 4' to 5' rollers on lake superior. I would not recomend finding out what your boat can handle, but most boats can handle just about anything. After all a boat is made to float. Just make sure your motors are healthy.

Welcome to FM grin.gif

I would look for something a little bigger.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I think the boat you are talking about would work, on smaller / mid sized lakes, but if the wind kicks up a little, you may want something a little bigger. More room all around, handles better and you just feel better/more safe if a storm comes out of no where

Davesfriend is correct a boat will almost always handle more that the person it. But that doesn't mean you will not end up with c__p in your pants. That said I would spend the extra money and get a larger boat if you plan on fishing any big water. I have never heard a person say "I wish I had a smaller boat"

Riverkid,

Obviously your budget is the biggest factor, but I don't think a Lunker 165 has the knockers to battle mille lacs or any other big water on a regular basis. On the other hand, the Alumacraft Classic 165 has a considerably wider beam and a higher horsepower rating than the Lunker. The Classic would be a better option if you are searching for a new boat in that approximate price range.

Before purchasing, look at a few different sized boats. By looking at a few you will get a better feel for which one fits your needs down the road.

It's a big decision/purchase. Give it some thought, it will be worth it.

Be realistic about your budget, but what's your safety worth?

If your on the big water and the weather is good great, but get a marine radio with weather capability.

and keep track of the horizon.