• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I run a 12V trolling motor with 2 batteries???

This is ok, as long as your batteries are fairly identical, and are of the same age. I would recommend a switch like Geeksquad21 suggested. I use a rotary switch that allows connection to #1, #2, both or off. I utilize one of these between my starting and trolling motor batteries, it allows me to charge my trolling motor battery from my outboard when I am on a long run etc.

K.I.S.S. I'd stick with the advice from Pat K & marine man. You'll be happy with that simple set up. I NEVER drained both my batteries in parallel, assuming they were fully charged and in good shape. Your choice, but switches and gizmo's that charge during a long run are just more things to break or malfunction than it's worth. IMO.

How about when you charge the batteries in this set up? Can you put the charger on just one and charge both at same time?

Originally Posted By: marine_man
Yes, you can put the charger on one battery and it'll charge the other. It'll take longer this way then running a two bank charger, but it will charge both banks.

marine_man

So, to clarify for my electrically-challenged mind, will running a 2 bank charger with the batteries connected in parallel mess anything up with the batteries or charger?

Skip hooking them up in parallel. if one of your battery is a little weaker it will drain your other battery with it. I just run one out and just switch the wires which i made long enough to hook them up to both batteries also i have a 2 bank charger if you have them hooked up in parallel it will take you to long to charge with just one bank to charge 2 batteries . i have been doing this for a few years and i never run into having completely dead batteries . Just keep it simple alot less problem .

Originally Posted By: snowman678
will running a 2 bank charger with the batteries connected in parallel mess anything up with the batteries or charger?

No - you'll just charge them faster.

marine_man

It shouldnt, I had two batteries hooked up in parallel and they were 8 feet apart and never had any problems, and now they are hooked up in a series for a 24... no problems.