• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am also curious about this. My dad lives in Amery so we would be fishing the flowage there (and north thereof).

I was told it was good Musky waters - but we don't Musky fish.

I also heard there were walleye there - but according to the WDNR site it isn't walleye water (and it looks to only get 15 feet deep in a few holes...).

Thanks in advance

Bill

blackbrook flowage has a pretty good panfish population. I have never fished it open water, but have always done pretty well through the ice. there might be some bass and northern as well and i know there are a few muskies, but the musky season isnt open yet and bass is catch and release i believe.

there are some upper parts and branches of the apple river that have trout too.

The Apple River Flowage in Amery is dominated by small panfish and bass. I can't recall ever seeing a walleye caught there, but it is certainly possible some migrate out of the lakes through the streams into there. My guess is the population is unfishably low. There are pike in there, and some decent ones but as of late they've been tough to catch. And there are good numbers of decent sized muskies in there. Muskie aren't open yet, bass will be Saturday (the bass and muskie/pike zones are different).

One thing to keep in mind, it gets VERY weedy in the summer. I would say 75% of the water or so will be weeds right to the surface, so plan accordingly.

I have heard of a few eyes coming out of Wappagasset but they are very rare. Mostly like everyone is saying the Apple is panfish and bass water. You might try looking at Bone Lake for Muskie or Balsam Lake for Eyes.

In my day the Apple was a very good trout stream but then back in the 1970's the tubers showed up and ruined this pristine little gem. Apparenly the county board was more interested in getting there share of the pie than they were in preserving mother nature and so the Apple became a sewer unfit even for dogfish.

I remember fishing for eyes, trout, northerns and crappies the size of dinner plates out of the Apple back in the late 50's and early 60's. When I see the place my cousin and I used to swim as kids it makes me sick!

Let that be a lesson to the rest of you coming up. You will never know what a blessing a place like the Apple was until you have lost it! I hope your generation is more aware of that simple truth than mine was. All mine wanted to do was make money!

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes