• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dish Network Installation...

B. Amish

When they install a dish system, how exactly does the wiring work? How many holes do they need to drill to get the system set up? Is it just one hole to get the wires into the house?

Do you have to have the dish on your roof top, or can you mount it on a 4x4 or something similar?

Thanks in advance....

It depends on what type of installation you want.

Generally 1 or 2 holes coming in and yes you can have the Dish just about anywhere you want if you have a decent view of the southern/west sky. It is nice to be able to get to the dish especially when we have wet snows that can form on your dish and block the signal.

What type of installations are there? Are you talking about number of rooms. If so, I'd want three rooms. I guess I want to eliminate the amount of holes that are drilled inside my house.

I'm completely oblivious to this...

I have directv and there are two lines that run in. I don't think they do more than 2 lines. If you want 3 rooms, they split the signal. You can mount it on a pole, just make sure it can get over any trees you have.

Really depends on your house as far as wiring. One wire in from outside(maybe 2 for HD which we don't have) and then your floor plan dictates how wiring needs to get to each desired location. We have four recievers so can watch four different programs at the same time. Think it's like $5/extra reciever.

If you plan on having more than one reciever than you will have a dish with a dual LNB. Then LNB is the part that recieves the signal that the dish collects. The Dual LNB will have two cables that will be routed into the house. I have a 2 in 4 out passive splitter. The two cables from the LNB go to the splitter and then four cables are routed through out the house. I had to do this because I upgraded to a dual input DVR (record one while you watch one) so 2 of the cables from the splitter go to the DVR. 1 cable goes to the receiver upstairs. The last cable goes to the "rec. room" downstairs. I'm too cheap to pay for a third reciever so I just use the receiver from upstairs in the rec. room when needed.

I have an older home that is not wired for cable. The previous owners did what they could to get the cable where they needed. When I remodeled my main floor bathroom I had a golden opportunity the route all the high tech cables from the basement to the second level. The built in closet has a false wall that can be removed to add/replace anything between the levels.