• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Don't forget to check those arrows

fishermn

Last night while practicing, I was shooting a couple arrows each a single spots on the target. Well, I managed to slap one (or so I thought) as it ended up right on top of the first arrow. As usual, I pulled both arrows out and quickly looked them over but didnt notice any damage. Today when I went back to shoot again, I noticed that one arrow didnt snap onto the line quite like the others. So I pulled it off and looked a bit closer. It seems that the arrow from the previous night had actually hit the nock hard enough to crack the nock right down the center and actually left a pretty good hairline crack down the shaft. The shaft was still strong enough to hold the two sides of the nock together and not really show any noticeable damage. I'm just glad I took the time to take this arrow back off and look a bit closer. I hate to think what may have happened if I had fired this arrow. I would probably be pulling carbon shards out of my arm right now! \:\(

So, just a reminder. Look those arrows over carefully. Even a hairline crack can be catastrophic!

Nowadays when I practice inside of 20 yards, I don't even shoot at the same target, too many nocks and arrows wrecked. On my archery butt I just put up 5 targets and shoot at a different one.

Along the same line, also keep inspecting your arrows, they don't last forever. Last year I was looking at my carbons and noticed what looked like a cut, gave it a little flex test and it snapped way too easily. Found another one just like it. Like you said, I was envisioning carbon fibers in my arm.