• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

switching ammo

I shoot a 30-06 and most of my shots last year were 150-300 yards, I am looking to either switch to a hornady SST, winchester silver tip, or federal accubond. or maybe something else...what do you all think, is a ballistic tip bad for deer hunting and do you think i should just stick with the 180 grain remington PSP that i am shooting now?

hey roosterslayer thanks for the tip on turkeys last night i found them. but anyhow i haven't had a chance to shoot the hornady or the federal but i know the silver tips do some nasty damage and long range. and i have also shot the remington's and have liked them alot also. i guess if you already feel comfortable shooting the remingtons i would stick with them. but go to a range and test them out to see which ones shoot the best groupings at that yardage.

stretch

I shoot Combined Technoligies Silver tips that I reload myself for a .280 Rem and it does nasty damage. Most of my shot are under 150 yards but I have hit several in the guts and they come down anyway. Awesome bullet in my experience.

in my opinion, the bullet isn't as important as shot placement. pick a bullet that is designed for the animal you're shooting and the velocity range your rifle is capable of. calling the bullet manufacturers will help in picking that bullet. the brand of bullet and the color of it's tip makes little difference to the deer. don't get caught up in marketing hype. do get caught up in proper shot placement!

I had some ballistic tipped handloads for my .338 and I had a couple of deer with well placed shots run off. They went quite a way before they died, when they should have dropped in their tracks. Went back to tried and true Sierra bullets. Good expansion and they don't fragment. For factory loads, Federals have gotten me clean kills and I stick with them.

I'll throw in my .02.

Barnes TSX. Made out of 100% copper. They hit hard and have nearly 100% weight retention. I shot two deer last year and both were pass-through shots (you could see where the bullet entered the ground) and had a great blood trail.

I also shoot a 30.06 and last year used 150gr bullets. This year I began reloading, and I am testing the 130 gr bullets. I know other hunters and they swear by Barnes. Good luck.

fwt