• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm looking for a photo to use

I totally realize that many of you make money on the artwork that you create. I completely respect that and do not want to step on any toes. In fact, most people would just "steal" your images without asking.

I'm in a technical writing class for school and I have to create a formal report (professional ~10pgs) for class. Mine is about a highway striping research. It is a made up report and everything is fake. Its for class only.

SO the point is that I've been trying to locate some photos that I could use for a cover page and/or integrate into the report. This is not powerpoint, it will be in MN Word and printed on regular paper.

The images I'm trying to find are like the "road to nowhere" type image with good color contrast on yellow or white highway stripes. Also maybe just some overhead images of a road with striping.

I've found some websites that people are charging big bucks for the template. This is a one time assignment and although I think I would get an A with the ones I can buy, I'm looking for something on a students budget. I will also try to take some of my own photos, but I don't exactly have great equipment for something that would print to an 8x10.

Does anyone have anything like that and would you mind if I used it? I would still give full credit to the owner in my report.

Thanks for your help. PS, its due in 2 weeks.

Power Stroke, I don't know if what I have can help you, but I have a shot of a road that actually runs out. It is a strech of road that is paved, painted with stripes etc then it just runs out. kinda like the song were the sidewalk ends. I will try and find it later tonight or tommorow and if you want it you can sure use it. It was taken in Ketchikan Alaska.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
I totally realize that many of you make money on the artwork that you create. I completely respect that and do not want to step on any toes. In fact, most people would just "steal" your images without asking.

I'm in a technical writing class for school and I have to create a formal report (professional ~10pgs) for class. Mine is about a highway striping research.

SO the point is that I've been trying to locate some photos that I could use for a cover page and/or integrate into the report. This is not powerpoint, it will be in MN Word and printed on regular paper.

The images I'm trying to find are like the "road to nowhere" type image with good color contrast on yellow or white highway stripes. Also maybe just some overhead images of a road with striping.

I've found some professional ones that people are charging big bucks for. This is a one time assignment and although I think I would seal the deal with the ones I can buy, I'm looking for something on a students budget. I will also try to take some of my own photos, but I don't exactly have great equipment for something that would print to an 8x10.

Does anyone have anything like that and would you mind if I used it. I would still give full credit to the owner in my report.

Thanks for your help. PS, its due in 2 weeks.

I understand the inclination to pursue a professional service for a sub-professional price. We all want to pay as little as possible for what we need, myself included.

I can try to help. This image isn't the best, but it might fit the bill. It was shot in the Ozarks two years ago. I don't have photoshop on my computer right now due to a recent rebuild, but someone might volunteer to wipe out the bug guts on the upper right 1/3 of the photo. If you like it, I can email the original for you. And no, I was not driving on the wrong side of the road to take this photo. ;\) My dad was! grin.gif

2419606563_ffb792e322.jpg

I wish the shadows were a little brighter, and the bugs weren't there, but it was a one time shot kinda deal.

I totally realize what your saying Stf. I'm trying to be as fair and forward as possible.

I don't plan on using this for any personal gain. Its fake report with fake details from a $100 textbook I won't use again after 4 weeks from now. I'm hoping to make my report look as great as possible so I get a good grade. I would destroy it as soon as the school year was over.

If making such a proposal is in poor taste than I apologize and I will remove my post. I don't want to step on toes. I fully realize that you and others make a living on your photos.

For those who don't understand my assignment, let me explain.

I was given all the facts for a report from the pages of a text book. Everything is made up. Its up to me to organize it into a formal report. Part of that is finding images and graphics to add for a cover and other graphic interest.

I get graded on my writing, the format and appearance. The only person who gives a rip about the outcome of the report is me.

Paul, Tom, I appreciate your offers. If anyone else has anything, I will appreciate that too. I will let the owner know if I use their photo. In fact I'll send you a copy of it so you can see how it was used.

I find it no different for me to ask my friends here to borrow a photo than I would asking my neighbor or family if they had a photo I could use. If you disagree with lending someone a photo, than don't offer one.

If this was a genuine project that I might profit from than I wouldn't mind spending $40 to get a fancy template off the internet. It would be far easier. Its hard enough to create your own.

Powerstroke, I just noticed your sig line.

The best fortune cookie I have ever seen, opened by a buddy on lunch. "You love Chinese food." Swear to it. We laughed about that for days, and it ended up getting taped to his monitor at work.

Yeah, Tom, it's been some years since fortune cookies actually predicted your fortune. Probably some disgruntled person who got a fortune cookie that said it was their lucky day and then failed to win the Powerball sued, and since then we get "fortune" cookies that say things like: "You are a good person," or "He who spends money has less money."

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke

If making such a proposal is in poor taste than I apologize and I will remove my post. I don't want to step on toes. I fully realize that you and others make a living on your photos.

Poor taste - no. It never hurts to ask. Sorry that I can't help you. I don't take pictures of roads. grin.gif

I'm not particular about the photos. Its kind of an abstract idea I had and thought maybe there was something out there that would catch me.

If I had to choose, I like the one polarsus has up. Traffic is okay, but the idea is to frame the striping or painted lines.