• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle nest and parents.

Went out there yesterday and managed to get these shots. Man, it's sure windy out here! Went out there at 8 am in the morning before the big winds came.

Full frame

eagleapril13nest.jpg

100% Crop

eagleapril13nest100crop.jpg

That male sitting on the branch flew swooping down by me, I think he was trying to get me away from the nest. I figured I'd better pack up and leave, but then I saw him sitting up in the branch about 50 yards. Before I put my equipment away in the car, I decided to sneak up on the tree where the eagle was sitting, I managed to take a couple of shots of him. Now, that was scary because I walked slowly about 50 yards with the 400mm with the 2X extender on the 40D, took these shot hand held. I was so worried that I'd drop my camera.

eagleelysianapril13.jpg

eaglefront.jpg

The eggs still haven't hatched yet. I'll keep an eye on it from time to time and will post pics.

The wimberley head came in yesterday afternoon, I installed it on the tripod. And man, that's pretty slick. I could move the lens around panning around like it's a machine gun on a tripod. Very smooth and fluid. I can't wait to try it out on the field!

Marc, these are great shots. I especially like the fourth one. That down-you-nose glare from an adult bald eagle makes for a great shot, and its slightly shadowed face contains a ton of detail.

I notice the all look a bit oversaturated on my monitor (the blues and yellows are especially heavy), and I wonder if your pp work explains the halos and fringing.

I think something's going on in your pp regimen that's causing this (I see it in many of your images with the 100-400 and the new 400 f2.8), and probably it'll only take a slight change or two, because these are excellent images.

Nice work! Just wait until you start swinging that big Canon for bird-in-flight shots. The Wimberley is made to order for that. grin.gif

Well, I'll be the first to say that saturation is a judgment call that's in the hands of the artist (photographer). I saturate my images the way they look best to me, which isn't necessarily how others like them best. My general rule is not to go beyond what falls within the realm of nature's own color palette/intensity. But again, that's just my rule. I would not even have pointed it out except that I think bumping that saturation slider over so far is what's giving you colored halos and fringes.

The last two looks are good! FYI.. I don't even use saturation in CS3, I only use Vibrance... its kind of a "smart saturation" and only saturates areas that need it vs the entire image.

Thanks guys for your honest opinions! \:\)

I kept telling myself to back off on the saturation. But I don't listen. grin.gif Steve, I'm a terrible making judgement call about the saturation! crazy.gif I'm probably color blind or something. grin.gif But I'm not..sooooo...

Okey doke, let's try again. Here's same 4th photo, right from raw to jpg. Only I didn't mess with any of the pp except for what Mike's tip about the vibrance technique.

eagleapril13vib.jpg

Does it look a little better? Come on guys..it's back to school for me! grin.gif

eyeguy54, yeah.. whistle.gif about that..sorry about that...I'm a BIT paranoid about the people out there that could steal photos and use them for something else. Read an article about that little while ago. Ignore it...think it's going to be a habit, putting on the faded signature on some of the good pictures from now on.. Hope you understand.

Marc, that looks perfect to my eye. Perched eagle shots with direct eye contact don't get any better than that! Exquisite detail in both shadows and highlights, and great IQ! And because the bird is parallel or nearly parallel to the focus plane, it's all in focus and sharp. grin.gifgrin.gif

If I want to be nitpicky, there are slight sharpening halos between some of the bird's feathers and the sky. Nothing an eagle loving print buyer would notice but something we notice as photographers. Lassoing just inside the edge of the bird and applying sharpening that way will eliminate the halos along high-contrast edges.

Was that with the 2X on the 400 f2.8 or just the lens itself?

OK, next exercise. How good are you with the cloning tool? Try getting rid of all the branches in the background so it's nothing but eagle, blue sky and perch. That'll keep you busy for a minute or two. The ethics of cloning vary from photographer to photographer, but even if it's not in your own opinion ethical to clone out so much, it's MIGHTY good practice. grin.gifgrin.gif

And lastly I'd like to say you are a VERY good sport. Even folks who SAY they want honest C&C pretty often don't want REALLY honest C&C, but you do. And your willingness also means that the hundreds of people who look in here but don't participate also can get some cool info now and then. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Steve,

I was thinking of doing that..cloning out the branches. I will do that. And will post results.

Yes, that was with the 2X on the 400 f2.8..HAND HELD! WHEW!

Aw shucks. grin.gif No, I don't mind at all if I get bad C&C on any of the photos..I mean, personally I think it's great, because I can use C&C info (wether is bad or good) that as a challenge to get better.

Thanks you guys! \:\) Give me a couple of hours (around 9 or 10 pm?) till I post results about the removal of the branch. I'm grilling out tonight for my family! grin.gifgrin.gif

Turns out, it went faster than I thought. I lit up the charcoal, the meat it going on in a couple of minutes. My wife is wondering why I'm on my computer! grin.gif

Just finished it. Went faster than I thought!

Is this better? I think I love it....

eagleclone.jpg

I know you can see the Clone "brush" some of the spots...will fine tune that later for the print.

Let me know if this looks better.

Thanks!

Marc, just a beautiful portrait. I agree with Steve on some refinement to your PP technique, you made a nice adjustment here. You did real well with this last shot. I can't image not being happy with this result! I tip my hat to you \:\)

Originally Posted By: MARINERMAGNUM
I am only concerned with one thing for my own future reference...............

how did the wife take it?

He seems still to be alive. Either that or she strangled him, dumped his body deep in a slough and has taken over the photo gear and his HSO/FM username and password. grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:
Either that or she strangled him, dumped his body deep in a slough and has taken over the photo gear

Hmmmmmmmmm....I wonder if she'd take $2500 for the 400 2.8??

Maybe the credit card statement hasn't shown up yet-she'd be none the wiser! whistle.gif