• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4/12/08

Took a couple of hours today to look for something to shoot at. Checked an eagles nest - no eagles. Checked some open water - some geese sleeping in the snow about a quarter of a mile away. One red-tailed hawk at 1000 feet. Did get this junco one time out of the car:

4-12-1.jpg

Finally stopped at the IWC for a few shots:

4-12-2.jpg

4-12-3.jpg

4-12-4.jpg

4-12-5.jpg

Guess I'll have to go back to shoveling snow!

Juncos are a challenge, seeing how their eye blends in with the dark feathers. However, I can see the twinkle in this little guys eye.

I love the wolf shots. I gotta get up there next month. More than likely, the snow will be gone by then. ;\) What lens did you use and did you have the hood touching the glass? Did you shoot straight on or at a bit of an angle? Sorry to pick your brain for your coveted technique. grin.gif

Mike,

These were with my 100-400. ISO 400, and had it on manual, f8.0 and 1/1000th. I was using my monopod and was back a few inches from the glass. Everyone was pretty "doggy" (sorry) today. Not much movement and they were up and to the right of the viewing area, so was angling through the glass. There was another guy taking photos there today who has spent a lot of time there. He claims he has good luck up to 400mm. He has a 600mm that he says is worthless through the glass and he has shot with a guy that has a 500mm who can't get a decent shot through it. Hope that helps, Mike.

Great shots, its been a few years since I have been to the IWC. I thought I read somewhere that they will be adding some wolf pups this summer and retiring some of the older members of the ambassador pack. If thats the case, it could make for some good shooting with some pups in the group.

Jay,

As I understand it, they'll be getting the pups within a month or so, but will be keeping them separate from the rest of the pack until sometime later in the summer. Should be some interesting opportunities then.

Originally Posted By: JayinMN
Great shots, its been a few years since I have been to the IWC. I thought I read somewhere that they will be adding some wolf pups this summer and retiring some of the older members of the ambassador pack. If thats the case, it could make for some good shooting with some pups in the group.

An update. I just ran into the IWC wolf curator and she said they are not planning on retiring the artic wolves (which are 8 years old) when they introduce the pups this summer. She said they're looking at new pup introductions every four years, and by the next introduction, four years after this summer, the arctics will be 12 and ready to retire.

She said Shadow continues to easily rule the pack as the alpha male, so it looks like the next couple of years are going to offer plenty of wolves for viewing in the ambassador pack.

Of course, once this year's pups are grown by next year and there's a pack of seven or so, it's quite possible that Grizzer (one of the current crop of younger adults) might challenge Shadow and knock him out of the lead. Or one of this year's pups might take over in two or three years. If that happens, Shadow may still be part of the pack or the pack may make it so hard for him that he'll go into retirement early. But that will essentially be up to the pack. I believe there are still two 15-year-old or so animals in separate retirement enclosures.