• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WOOHOO trying something new!!

In answer to your climber question, they'll go over bumps & knobs pretty easily. You might have to rotate it a little bit sometimes or dip it a little more than your normal climbing motion, but they're pretty adaptable. I've climbed over branches that I just snapped off before that weren't quite as flush to the tree as you'd like.

I know nothing about Paul Bunyan State Forest, don't even know where it is.

Also - a bow with a longer distance from riser to string (brace height) will be more forgiving - look for at least 7.5" distance.

I shoot an older bowtech liberty that has nearly 8" of brace - I never slap my arm even with a coat on. As some others have already said too.. don't let speed impress you. Smooth draw is much more desirable in a hunting bow than speed.

+1 on speed. I shot the PSE X-Force and hated the cam over. Smooth is key.

+1 Brace Hieght... My next bow will be 7" to balance speed and forgiveness

You are going to make mistakes and a stand will increase your odds 10 fold. I'd highly recommend a climber.

Climbing Stand... Don't skimp and buy a steel stand. Buy a quality aluminum. Lone Wolf and Summit come to mind.

Other stands... You can never have to many. I sometimes setup 2-3 stands in the same area to hunt differnt winds.

Rests... A wisker biscuit is great for new archers.

A 20-50 dollar release will work just fine.

Set up your bow with a String loop. Account for the string and release when determining draw length.

If you change strings break in your new string and shoot a couple hundred shots before really sighting in & tuning.

Tune your bow with the aid of an expirenced archer/proshop.

Download Easton Arrows Tuning Guide. Memorize. (Note: A perfect paper tear doesn't allways mean the bow is perfectly tuned or vice versa it just gets you close. The more you shoot the more you understand arrow flight)

Practice with Broad Heads... Again tune your bow.

Anytime you change anything on your bow check your tune.

Practice Practice Practice standing, sitting, crouching, from up high, shooting up hill, etc

Most IMPORTANTLY buy a good saftey harness... Something comfortable and easy to use. Use it every time.