• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minn Kota MK-1-DC; Alternator Charger

Anyone have one of these? Looks like it would be easy to hook up and would help keep my trolling motor battery charged on my remote camping/fishing trips.

It just connects to your main battery and when your outboard is running it directs some of the charging current to the deep cycle trolling battery.

I've thought about solar charges, but they don't have enough amps. I also don't want to drag another battery with me.

I've never used one, but what I hear is:

1. You need to have a large motor with a large alternator that puts out a lot of amps for it to make any difference on your trolling batteries

2. You need to go on long runs with your big motor for it to make a difference on your trolling batteries.

I just put one (MK-2-DC, the 2-bank model) on my tournament partner's boat. The reason I did this was because twice last year we ran out of juice in the last hour of a tournament. (fished at least a dozen contests)

If it helps us at all to get a that last hour of fishing in, then it will be worth the $120.

The above info from the other guy's is correct. (size of alternator and amount of time running with outboard)

My outboard is not large. It is a 50hp Yamaha.

Like you, I'm just looking to keep it from going dead as fast. I don't expect it to keep the battery fully charged, but hope that it will help slow down the drain rate from the bow mount.

Sounds like the install is really easy - correct?

It looks like the 2008 50hp Yamaha 4 Stroke puts out 17 amps and the 50hp 2 stroke puts out 6 amps... with 6 amps I don't think I'd even bother with buying the minkkota charger if you have a 50 hp 2 stroke - 6 amps isn't a whole lot - remember that these outputs are at wide open throttle.

If you've got a 4 stroke, 17 amps is certainly better, but don't expect a huge increase in run time unless you make a lot of long runs.

The install is pretty straight forward - you'll have to run wires between the back of the boat to your trolling motor batteries if they're up front, that'll probably be the most difficult part.

marine_man

Just a side note, but these are not compatible with a Minnkota with a Universal Sonar. Kind of goofy that Minnkota makes both but they are not compatible with each other. The Universal sonare requires that it be completely seperate from the trolling motor batteries, but these chargers connect them.

kjgmh, you are incorrect. The reason these didn't come out in late 2006 was because of a possible grounding issue with US. The MK DC chargers are fine with US2. If someone buys a MK DC charger, make sure there is a purple wire going to a power source that is only on when the ignition is turned on.

marine man, do you know what alternator size would be on my buddy's boat? He bought a new Skeeter last year with a yammie 150. Package deal with no upgrades. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: heat checker
How do you find out how many amps it's putting out? I've got a 92 yami 70 2 stroke.
Most of the time you can find it online, however, usually they stay in the same range as the new motors - so, for a 2007 yamaha their HSOforum says 6 amps, so I doubt it's much more than that...

Originally Posted By: katoguy
marine man, do you know what alternator size would be on my buddy's boat? He bought a new Skeeter last year with a yammie 150.
2 Stroke? Carb or HPDI? 4 Stroke?

The 2 Stroke HPDI outputs 45 Amps. 2 Stroke Carb'd outputs 25 Amps. 4 Stroke outputs 35 Amps. Regardless, all should be capable of outputting some power to a trolling motor battery.

marine_man

Thanks, marine_man.

So with a 45 alternator, basically it is putting in 20 amps into each battery (DC-2 for a 24-v system) when you run with the outboard for a full hour. Running only 10 minutes definitely won't keep up with the trolling motor draw, but may help a little when we run-and-gun all day.

Those using the alternator charger and running for an hour + on river systems or very large lakes will see more benefit.

Yes, only after the crank battery is fully charged will the system start charging the trolling motor batteries.

I was wrong in my last post. The highest output of the Minn Kota DC chargers is 10 amps per channel no matter if the alternator output is higher.