• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking at buying a new electric trolling motor..

Wookiee

This in probably not the best "value" up front, but the best electric trolling motor, IMO, for that boat would be a Minnkota Terrova 80#, 60" shaft. More power than you'll use 80% of the time, but it's those windy or strong river current situations that you'll apprciate the extra power.

I've tried in the past to save up front by buying a motor that would work most of the time. In the long run, it cost me more, because if didn't do the job ALL the time. My thoughts.

I have a 1650 FH with a 65lb Minn Kota AP/CP/US. Its excessive for 95% of my fishing but I have had a couple days where its been windy enough to need it and it worked perfectly. 80# is what I would get if I got a bigger boat. My neighbor has a 65lb on an 1850 FH and it falls on its face in any wind.

I have an 18.5ft boat and use a 70lbs Powerdrive V2 AP/US with a 60in shaft and it works well. You are better off haveing to much power and not using it then not having enough when you need it. The Terrova is an upgrade, but will cost a few hundred more.

Depends on your fishing style. I have a 1750 and use the trolling motor 95% of the time I am fishing. I put a 24v-70# PowerDrive V2 and added a CoPilot.

The wind can push around a 1750 pretty good and if you are standing in the bow trying to maneuver, you want to be able to get the boat to respond quickly.

You can run a 70# motor like a 55#er, but you can never get the 55# motor to run at 70#.

I've backed myself into a hole concernig my trolling motor choice. My 55lb is ok, but I would prefer an 80lb. So from my experience, get as big as you can get, and then don't skimp on the batteries. Spend the extra money for the 31 series batteries and you will never complain.

I have a 65lb 24volt MinnKota PowerDrive on a 1750 tiller. More than enough power and goes all day. The new 70lb V2 is a great option. One thing to consider is buying a factory reconditioned motor. I found one that had never seen water, but sustained minor damage (side plate) while being transported. It was repaired by MinnKota, looked brand new, came in the box, and was $200 less than retail. The factory reconditioned models come with a 1 year warranty and the owner of the shop I purchased from explained exactly what happened to make it "factory reconditioned." Still going strong four years later.